Cheshire Antiques Consultant
Fine Vintage Reproduction Maritime Oil Painting British Clipper Ships Gilt Frame
Regular price £365.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
BUY NOW £365
- 1 Fine Victorian Style Vintage Reproduction Maritime Oil Painting British Clipper Ships High Seas After James Edward Buttersworth.
- In the style of after similar to James Edward Buttersworth.
- Subject maritime.
- A superb depiction
- Oil on board.
- Vintage reproduction copy.
- James Edward Buttersworth (1817–1894) was an English painter who specialized in maritime art.
- He is considered among the foremost ship portraitists of the nineteenth century.
- His paintings are particularly known for their meticulous detail, dramatic settings, and grace in movement.
- Buttersworth was born in London, England in 1817 to a family of maritime artists.
- He studied painting with his father Thomas Buttersworth Jr who was also noted for the genre.
- James Edward Buttersworth was born in Britain and trained in the art of marine painting.
- His teacher was none other than his own father, Thomas Buttersworth, a well-known marine painter in his own right.
- By the time he was 30, James had relocated to the America’s and set up a studio in New York.
- Buttersworth dedicated the entirety of his 60 year career span to painting marine subjects, specifically, ships at sea.
- Clipper ships were his specialty, but he also painted racing ships and was able to witness and paint the birth of steam ships.
- More than 600 of his works have been cataloged, each one bearing his unique style and attention to detail.
- Having a fine masters touch with exceptional controlled brush work.
- Which really captures the scene.
- Very pleasing to the eye a true master finest artist.
- Circa mid 20th century.
- Set in rather attractive small gilt frame.
- We provide friendly professional customer service.
- Bought from a private seller.
- New hanging thread attached on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having various noticeable wear and minor chips to the frame, foxing craquelure to the surface in places commensurate with usage & age.
- It could do with a clean.
- International worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Cash upon collection is welcome.
- Checkout our other exciting listings available in our shop gallery happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate