Pair Elegant 19th Century Oil Paintings Scottish Collie Dog Portraits After George Washington Brownlow
Buy Now £2,500
- A Fine Elegant Pair Victorian 19th Century Oil Paintings Scottish Rough Collie Dog Portraits After George Washington Brownlow.
- Oil on board set in original moulded gilt frames.
- Subject portraits of 2 half length profile portraits of rough Collie dogs both facing left.
- Each having elongated muzzle and semi erect ears, set against an abstract background echoing the brown and white long sleek fur. The eyes are painted in profile and so cannot meet our own. The force of the gaze is simply to imagine.
- This herding dog gained in popularity when Queen Victoria acquired several. The beautifully captured expression of this 19th century Rough Collie portraits along with realistic depiction and warm colors, would make it a wonderful addition to to display proudily in any home.
- G & H Decoy picture frame makers label verso.
- After in the style of George Washington Brownlow (1835-1876).
- Circa 19th century Victorian era.
- Provenance purchased from a fine auction west of England label verso.
- Collies form a distinctive type of herding dogs, including many related landraces and standardized breeds. The type originated in Scotland and Northern England. Collies are medium-sized, fairly lightly-built dogs, with pointed snouts.
- Many types have a distinctive white color over the shoulders. Collies are very active and agile, and most types of collies have a very strong herding instinct. Collie breeds have spread through many parts of the world (especially Australia and North America).
- Highly sought after by CEO's, interior designers, museums, art gallerys, antique dealers, famous & private collectors, film tv studio prop shops.
- Ready for immediate home wall display with hanging thread verso.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional expert customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- With foxing & craquelure, some small brush hairs stuck also some paint loss scuffs to the canvas surface in places.
- Having various general wear, chips and repairs in places also some paint touch ups to the outer frame commensurate with usage & age.
- They would benefit with you having them reframed and cleaned.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting collections available in our shop gallery happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate