Huge Victorian Oil Painting Snowdon Mountain Range By Charles Leslie
- 1 Fine Huge Decorative Victorian 19th Century Work of Art Oil Painting Wales Snowdon Range By Charles Leslie.
- Subject Welsh landscape view of the Snowden mountain range with lakeland.
- Oil on canvas.
- Title "A Summer Shower Passing Over The Snowdon Range".
- Having such incredible perspective, which is so breathtaking your focus is first drawn to the arched rainbow that is overhead reaching to the clouds above, with the beautiful mountain range in the background with hills either side, in the foreground beautiful view of the lakeland area with bird sflying overhead. To the right you can see 2 figures standing on the grassland a father and son by the shoreline who are fishing, the father is wearing a hat & holding the fishing rod, with trees behind and large stone boulders behind them.
- Impressive huge size with the frame being 140cm wide and 89.5cm high.
- Signed by the famous listed artist Charles Leslie bottom left in red and dated 1878 also having the artist brass name plaque at the base showing title.
- This is one of his very fine works.
- Snowdon (/ˈsnoʊdən/; Welsh: Yr Wyddfa, pronounced [ər ˈʊɨ̯ðva]) is the highest mountain in Wales, at an elevation of 1,085 metres (3,560 ft) above sea level, and the highest point in the British Isles outside the Scottish Highlands. It is located in Snowdonia National Park.
- Charles Leslie was a British landscape painter. He is recorded as having an address in Wimbledon, London. One of the better-known painters of the Scottish and Welsh moorland scenes, Leslie was one of the first painters of this subject in the Victorian tradition. He gave the landscape a much more commercial appeal with the focus being on balance, content and light. Leslie would cast warm or open skies over his landscapes with still waters.
- Leslie being from a family of painters and strongly influenced by his grandfather, Edward Williams, another successful landscape painter, Leslie learnt to paint during his formative years. He spent summers with his uncles where he would slave away painting landscape after landscape until he mastered his craft. He then went on to pioneer paintings of the Welsh moorlands and he has even displayed artworks at the highly prestigious Royal Academy.
- In this beautiful Lakeland landscape scene, we can clearly see Leslie’s technical mastery of the outdoor world, come to life with his use of delicate brushwork and a muted colour palette.
- Ref sources: 1stDibs, C.Wood, Dictionary of British Art, Vol IV, Victorian Painters, E. Bénézit, Dictionnaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessineurs et Graveurs.
Leslie exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1856 to 1862 as well as at the British Institute, Suffolk Street and elsewhere. Titles at the Royal Academy include: “A Shower Passing the Welsh Hills”,His biographical information is available in The Dictionary of Victorian Painters by Christopher Wood and his exhibition history in Graves Dictionary.
- Provenance from a fine art auction label verso.
- Circa late 19th century dated 1878.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye a great conversation piece.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in good overall order. Some paint loss in places & scuffs craquelure also foxing the canvas has been relined on the back. Set in fine impressive huge gilt frame which has general wear, various repairs and losses, cracking, scratches to the frame in places commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (6cm)