Oil Painting 3 Masted Clipper Sailing Ship "Loch Sloy" Follower of John Alcott
- 1 Fine British Seascape Art Marine 20th Century Oil Painting Full 3 Masted Clipper Tall Sailing Ship "Loch Sloy" Follower of John Alcott.
- Signed by the British artist E G Burrows.
- Very much in the style the artist is a follower of John Alcott.
- Title "Loch Sloy"
- Oil on board.
- Subject 3 masted tall clipper ship name Loch Sloy in full sail, side profile view on the high seas, bearing the Union Jack flag also figures on deck by the stern. Also having such detailing to the rigging & sails.Above an overcast grey cloudy sky with patches of blue showing through. With birds flying overhead. The seas are relatively rough & choppy.
- Loch Sloy was a true square rigged Scottish sailing ship that operated between Great Britain and Australia from the late 19th century until 1899. Her name was drawn from Loch Sloy, a freshwater loch which lies to the north of the Burgh of Helensburgh, in the region of Argyll and Bute, Scotland.
- In the early hours of 24 April 1899, Loch Sloy overran her distance when trying to pick up the light at Cape Borda and was wrecked on Brothers Rocks, about 300 metres from shore off Maupertuis Bay, Kangaroo Island, South Australia.Of the 34 passengers and crew on board, there were only four survivors, one who died from injuries and exposure shortly afterwards.
- Loch Sloy was built in 1877 by D. and W. Henderson and Company, Glasgow, Yard No 178 for the Glasgow Shipping Company, more commonly known as the Loch Line.
- Under the command of Captain Peter Nicol, Loch Sloy was on passage from Glasgow to Adelaide and Melbourne with a load of general cargo and seven passengers, she met with disaster on the coast of Kangaroo Island at the mouth of the Investigator Strait, South Australia. The ship overran her distance when trying to pick up the light at Cape Borda. She was too close inshore and the light was hidden by the cliffs between Cape Bedout and Cape Couedie. In the darkness of the morning she ran full on to a reef 300 yards from shore to the north of the Casuarina Islets in Maurpetuis Bay.
- Set in original gilt frame.
- Having such beautiful highly detailed perspective.
- A superb marine nautical collectors item.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Such an intriguing pleasing scene to the eye.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- Provenance bought from a fine art auction label verso.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- The painting surface has craquelure and foxing, scuffs and loss of paint in areas.
- The frame has chips losses, general wear, scuffs, scratches commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Length depth thickness of frame (1.5cm)