Large Pre-Raphaelite Oil Painting Portrait Seated Lady By John Collier OBE
Buy Now £10,000
- 1 Large Fine Art Antique Original 19th Century Victorian English Oil Painting Portrait Prominent Lady Seated Knitting Signed John Collier.
- Painted in the typical Pre-Raphaelite style.
- Subject portrait of a "Prominent Important Lady" posing seated in her favourite green armchair knitting.
- Oil on canvas with glass cover on the front.
- Signed in red by the worldwide known famous English listed artist John Maler Collier (1850-1934).
- The sitter is believed to be possibly Lady Hallé in later life, also known as Wilhelmine Maria Franziska Neruda (1838–1911). Lady Hallé, was a Moravian virtuoso violinist, chamber musician, and teacher.
- You can judge that she is lady of importance by her fine jewellery and clothing.
- Circa late 19th century.
- Set in the original fine gilt wood frame by Richard Turley, Turley was described by John Collier as 'my frame maker' in 1898 source: NPG Directory of British Picture Frame Makers. On the reverse, the printed trade label of Richard Turley Carver & Gilder 21 Crogsland Road Kentish Town NW.
- John Maler Collier OBE RP ROI (Born on 27 January 1850 – died 11 April 1934) was a leading English painter and writer. He painted in the Pre-Raphaelite style, and was one of the most prominent portrait painters of his generation.
- Both his marriages were to daughters of Thomas Henry Huxley. He studied painting at the Munich Academy starting in 1875. Collier was from a talented and successful family. His grandfather, John Collier, was a Quaker merchant who became a member of parliament. His father, Robert, (who was a member of parliament, Attorney General and, for many years, a full-time judge of the Privy Council) was created the first Lord Monkswell.
- He was also a member of the Royal Society of British Artists.
- Sixteen of John Collier's paintings are now in the collections of the National Portrait Gallery in London.
- Reference sources wikipedia, National Portrait Gallery, Tate, Artuk, Artnet, Invaluable, Mutualart.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Attention to every detail is magnificent, the hands, the lady's dress, her face & the green chair.
- Provenance bought from a fine high end art antique auction.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the subject matter such elaborate detail.
- The brushwork is of highest exceptional quality.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used old original condition.
- Having some foxing, craquelure to the canvas surface in places, the canvas is in good original unlined condition. The frame has some noticeable chips, scuffs, wear, cracking commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres approximate