Oil Painting Horse Bay Hunter In Stable Newlyn School Signed Evelyn Harke
- 1 Fine Antique Work of Art Equine Oil Painting Sporting Horse Bay Hunter In Stable Signed Evelyn Harke.
- Subject study of a bay hunter horse in side profile facing left.
- Oil on canvas.
- Signed in black in the bottom corner by the known British Newlyn School artist Evelyn Harke.
- Artist biography.
- Evelyn Harke (flourishing 1899-1930) primarily painted horses, usually engaged in heavy work out in the fields. Her fluid, impressionistic style and subject matter bring to mind the work of Sir Alfred Munnings and Lucy Elizabeth Kemp-Welch of the same period.
- She exhibited extensively at the Royal Academy, the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, the Walker Gallery, the Society of Women Artists and at St Ives. She lived in London and showed at the RA, SWA, GI, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool and at the London Salon. She exhibited two paintings of horses at St Ives in the Summer of 1914 and she painted at Étaples around 1907.
- Her painting "A Corner of the Market, Étaples" was a Royal Academy exhibit in 1907. Her address in 1907 was given as: Miss E Harke, 113 Church Road, Upper Norwood, London. Reference sources 1stdibs,
St Ives Times 17 Jul 1914, Hardie (2009) Artists in Newlyn and West Cornwall (p328), Whybrow (1994) St Ives (1911-20 list pp 216-18) Hayle Gallery (2013 research note).
- An exceptional fine example of her work.
- Set in a traditional stylish gilt frame.
- Circa early 20th century 1900s.
- Old gallery label on reverse.
- Provenance purchased from a fine antique art auction label verso.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible sporting nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in good overall order. Having various craquelure & some minor paint loss in place,some small touches of over paint visible under UV light, canvas has been relined. Set in fine original gilt wood frame which has general wear, scuffs, some chips, cracking and old repairs also over painting commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
High 26.96" (68.5cm)
Wide 30.90" (78.5cm)
Depth thickness of frame 2.55" (6.5cm)