British 19th Century Oil Painting Kirkstall Abbey Signed John Wallace
- 1 Fine Large British Victorian Antique Work of Art Oil Painting Kirkstall Abbey Signed John Wallace.
- Subject landscape architectual view of the famous place Kirkstall Abbey.
- In the foreground your focus is the beautiful tranquil river Aire, you can see the shadows in the water made by the trees & vegetation. To the left are 2 large trees, with bushes to the right. In the central background you are drawn to the Kirkstall Abbey in front profile
- Oil on canvas.
- Signed in black in the bottom corner by the known listed British artist John Wallace also name place and title below.
- Artist biography Wallace was a British painter he was born in 1841 and died in 1905. his works have been offered at auction multiple times and the record price is $4148 USD.
- Reference sources, Christies, Artuk & Mutualart.
- Kirkstall Abbey is a ruined Cistercian monastery in Kirkstall, north-west of Leeds city centre in West Yorkshire, England. It is set in a public park on the north bank of the River Aire. It was founded c. 1152. It was disestablished during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII.
- The picturesque ruins have been drawn and painted by artists such as J. M. W. Turner, Thomas Girtin and John Sell Cotman.
- Kirkstall Abbey was acquired by the Leeds Corporation as a gift from Colonel North and opened to the public in the late 19th century. The gatehouse became a museum, which is now part of the Leeds Museums & Galleries group.Two paintings of horses at St Ives in the Summer of 1914 and she painted at Étaples around 1907.
- An exceptional fine example of his work.
- Set in a traditional original gilt wood frame, frame maker stamp label verso G.E.O Hughes, Pilgrim Street Newcastle.
- Canvas prepared by G Rowney & Co London stamped verso.
- Circa late end of 19th century dated 1899.
- Partial old gallery label on reverse. W.M Anderson & Sons Depository Newcastle.
- Provenance purchased from a fine art & antiques dealer in Yorkshire.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in good overall order. Having various craquelure & some minor paint loss also some scuffs in place. The frame which has various general wear, scuffs, chips, cracking and old repairs also over painting in areas commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (6.5cm)