Cheshire Antiques Consultant
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame
Old Master Oil Painting Portrait Elizabeth Of Bohemia Circle Of Godfrey Kneller 1646-1723
Precio habitual $15,420.00
Los gastos de envío se calculan en la pantalla de pagos.
- This one stunning, large-scale oil painting is a true masterpiece. Crafted in the style of the great Godfrey Kneller, the exceptional portrait of Elizabeth of Bohemia will lend a timeless elegance to your home. The remarkable artistry of this 1646-1723 creation will draw admiration from even the most discerning art connoisseur.
- Three quarter-length front profile view portrait from the romanticized and revisionist look back at one of Englands & Scotlands great Icons. Wearing her fine costume with beautiful lace frills and pearls, she is projecting such beauty, confidence and high status authority power in her pose.
- Presented in a magnificent gilt frame.
- Oil on canvas.
- Historically significant portrait of Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia (born Elizabeth Stuart, August 19, 1596, to February 13, 1662) was a Scottish-born Queen of Bohemia. As well as being Queen of Bohemia, she was also titled Electress of Palatine and Princess Elizabeth Stuart of Scotland. Elizabeth was the oldest daughter of King James VI of Scotland (later, James I of England) and his wife, Anne of Denmark.
- Her brother was Charles I. She was Queen of Bohemia only for a few months, so she is sometimes called "The Winter Queen". Elizabeth was born at Falkland Palace in Fife, Scotland.
- Works like this rarely become available for public sale.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, 1st Baronet (1646 – 1723) Kneller was born Gottfried Kneller in the Free City of Lübke, the son of Zacharias Kniller. Kneller studied in Leiden, but became a pupil of Ferdinand Bol and perhaps Rembrandt himself in the 1660s. He was in Rome and Venice between 1672 and 1675, settling in England in 1676 for the remainder of his life.
- Kneller was soon employed at Court and rapidly became the most successful portraitist during the late 17th and early 18th centuries. His work exuberantly expresses the spirit of the English Baroque, and his style greatly influenced other artists. He enjoyed the office of Principal Painter to the King, at first jointly with John Riley (d.1691), from shortly after the accession of William and Mary in 1688 until his death.
- Kneller founded a studio which produced portraits en maze and a formulaic model which started with a sketch of the face with details added later. This was helped somewhat by his penchant for wigs wearing of gentlemen of the time. He was knighted in 1692 and became a baronet in 1715. He died of fever in 1723 and his remains were interred in the church of St. Mary's in Twickenham.
- Hanging wire thread and bracket mounts on the back ready for home display.
- Circa during the 17th century.
- Provenance was purchased from a fine art auction, & also Lane Fine Art Limited in London, label verso.
- Sources: English monarchs & Wikipedia.
- We select & sell our paintings based solely upon quality & significance.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition. The canvas has been relined, cleaned and re-varnished. Craquelure, with visible old crack lines to the paint which are now flat. With areas around the edge where the paint seems to have been worn but is now varnished flat. Paint repairs and re-touching through. Set in magnificent late gilt wood frame, it has some general wear minor chips in places commensurate with usage & age.
- We offer our clients exceptional professional customer service.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support. Please send a message thank you.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts and antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame