Art Deco Bronze Sculpture Diana Goddess Holding Bow & Arrow Signed R Penn
This stunning Art Deco sculpture is a bronze model form of Diana goddess holding a bow and arrow with a signature of R Penn. The detailed craftsmanship and exquisite bronze patina make this a standout item that not only looks impressive, but is a collector's dream item.
- Subject model form of the Roman Goddess Diana she is in her hunt pose holding a bow and arrow, which has been pulled back as she looks like she is just about to release the arrow, such a fascinating pose.
- Having sumptuous patina.
- A nice size being 32.5 cm high and 31 cm in length.
- Signed on the base R. PENN.
- Circa early 20th century Art Deco era.
- Made from fine cast bronze set on marble base.
- Origin from Germany.
- Provenance from a high-end auction label attached also previous provenance from Christie's South Kensington, '20th Century European Sculpture', 13 May 2004 sale.
- Ready to display in your home.
- Perfect to suit and home interior design theme.
- Quite heavy for its size being 8 kg the approximate weight.
- By the known listed German-born sculptor Rudolph Penn he was born in 1880-1955) was born in Olsbrücken in Germany. Around the beginning of the 20th century Penn read figural sculpture at the Academy of Applied Arts in Munich, he fought as a soldier in WW1 in the German army. He moved together with his wide & children to America at the end of the 1920s when there was a terrible economic depression & they lived in New York. He was known to have worked on housing design projects in New York with Heinz Warner & Theodore Barbarossa.
- Diana is a goddess in Roman and Hellenistic religion, primarily considered a patroness of the countryside, hunters, crossroads, and the Moon. She is equated with the Greek goddess Artemis, and absorbed much of Artemis' mythology early in Roman history, including a birth on the island of Demos to parents Jupiter and Latina, and a twin brother, Apollo, though she had an independent origin in Italy.
- Diana is considered a virgin goddess and protector of childbirth. Historically, Diana made up a triad with two other Roman deities: Nigeria the water nymph, her servant and assistant midwife, and Virus, the woodland god.
- Diana is revered in modern neopagan religions including Roman neopaganism, Stregheria, and Wicca. In the ancient, medieval, and modern periods, Diana has been considered a triple deity, merged with a goddess of the moon (Luna/Selene) and the underworld (usually Hecate).
- Condition report offered in fine used condition.
- Having charming noticeable patina age wear, scratches, stains commensurate with usage & age. Also, the arrow is warped.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send us a message thank you.
- International worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimeters
High (32.5 cm)
Width of base (11 cm)
Length of base (21 cm)
Total Length Depth (31 cm)