Cheshire Antiques Consultant
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame
Figurative Oil Painting Manchester "The Street Traders" By Patrick Burke
Precio habitual $5,159.00
Los gastos de envío se calculan en la pantalla de pagos.
- Embark on a unique journey to Manchester with Patrick Burke's captivating oil painting, 'The Street Traders'. Featuring a stunningly detailed figurative art style, this painting is sure to thrill and transport you to the bustling streets of Manchester - you won't believe your eyes!
- Oil on board.
- Signed by the famous British artist Patrick Burke.
- Subject cityscape view of market traders & shoppers in Market Place in Manchester, title The Street Traders.
- With figures gentleman & lady's walking by.
- You can see the Falstaff hotel, in the background & McGrath Gould & Co Station Cigars shop on the corner in the foreground.
- Circa Late 20th century dated 1975.
- This is one of his fine works of art.
- Set in a beautiful gilt frame with inner oxblood velvet lining.
- Patrick Burke was born at 2 Upper Shore ham Road, Kingston-by-Sea, Shore ham, Sussex. He was an artist & writer he studied at Brighton College of Art. Won the PRI de Rome (Engraving). Taught drawing at Wolverhampton College of Art. He gained success in London, Rome & New York.
- The works from the height of his career are alive with color, inspired by the time he spent in Italy. He found his own style in the 1970s combining both the abstract & figurative elements. His work is colorful & full of playful images as well as references to other artists work.
- Living and working in Rome. Teaching visit to the Goo School of Art. Patrick started to draw as a child and never stopped.
- To his great good fortune his talent was recognized at school by an inspirational teacher, Matt Bruce, and recognized again by the award of the Rome Scholarship for etching.
- His etchings show his skill as a draftman, his expertise in picture composition, and his talent for endowing a picture with ‘mood’, but give no hint of the direction his work was to take. He himself said that it was the move to Rome in 1957 that changed everything.
- He became alive to the possibilities of color and was soon working in pure abstraction. His close relationship with the George Lester Gallery led to success in Rome and in New York.
His works on paper from the 1960s show a return to a figurative style. The influence of Magritte, Mondrian and Wyndham Lewis are obvious.
By the 1970s he had found his own style.
- It was a conflation of the abstract and the figurative, and he continued to work in this way for the rest of his life, with only a few exceptions. The work for the next 25 years was colorful and vigorous, full of playful images that repeat from work to work, as well as references to the work of other artists.
- The already noted expertise in draftsmanship, composition and expression of mood was further developed. Patrick was a man of enormous charm and a very short temper, widely educated in many cultures – poetry and music as well as painting – but at times hopelessly naive about more practical aspects of life.
- He had a sense of integrity that even he found hard to live with, destroying paintings that he could have sold, but he thought weren’t good enough, and refusing to sell to people he thought didn’t understand the work.
- He once remarked that the paintings weren’t important; that they were like footprints in snow: merely evidence that a journey had been made. To Patrick, it was the journey that mattered.
- Provenance bought from a private museums' art collection.
- With hanging thread verso ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some noticeable wear, scuffs & scratches in places to the frame commensurate with usage & age. The front painting surface is in excellent order.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thank you.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame
Depth thickness of frame (6cm)