French 19th Century Antique Bronze Model Bust Of King Louis XIV
This 1 exquisite French Antique Bronze Model Bust of Louis XIV is a true objet d'art. Refined and timeless, it is a timeless tribute to a ruler whose grandeur is indelibly inscribed in history. Its intricate craftsmanship will bring an air of sophistication and grandeur to any room.
- Subject model bust of Louis XIV in his prime.
- Made from bronze.
- Mounted on an attractive turned wood sole base.
- Circa 19th century.
- In the Georgian style.
- Nice relative small size standing 21 cm high.
- Visual beauty such fine craftsmanship, you can feel the flowing movement from the fine contours of his long hair and facial detail of this exceptional modelled design which is totally magnificent.
- So collectible & highly sought after by collectors..
- Louis XIV (Louis-Dieudonné; 5 September 1638 – 1 September 1715), also known as Louis the Great(Louis Le Grand) or the Sun King (Le Row Solar), was King of France from May 14, 1643, until his death in 1715. His reign of 72 years and 110 days is the longest of any sovereign in history whose date is verifiable. Although Louis XIV's France was emblematic of the Age of Absolutism in Europe the King surrounded himself with a variety of significant political, military, and cultural figures, such as Bosses, Colbert, Le Bruno, Le Note, Lully, Mazarin, Molière, Racine, Turbine, and Vauban.
- Louis began his personal rule of France in 1661, after the death of his chief minister, the Cardinal Mazarin.An adherent of the concept of the divine right of kings, Louis continued his predecessors' work of creating a centralized state governed from the capital. He sought to eliminate the remnants of feudalism persisting in parts of France; by compelling many members of the nobility to inhabit his lavish Palace of Versailles, he succeeded in pacifying the aristocracy, many members of which had participated in the Fronde during his minority. By these means he became one of the most powerful French monarchs and consolidated a system of absolute monarchy in France that endured until the French Revolution. Louis also enforced uniformity of religion under the Gallic an Catholic Church. His revocation of the Edict of Nantes abolished the rights of the Huguenot Protestant minority and subjected them to a wave of dragonflies, effectively forcing Huguenots to emigrate or convert, as well as virtually destroying the French Protestant community.
- During Louis's long reign, France emerged as the leading European power and regularly asserted its military strength. A conflict with Spain marked his entire childhood, while during his personal rule, the kingdom took part in three major continental conflicts, each against powerful foreign alliances: the Franco-Dutch War, the Nine Years' War, and the War of the Spanish Succession. In addition, France also contested shorter wars, such as the War of Devolution and the War of the Reunions. Warfare defined Louis's foreign policy and his personality shaped his approach. Impelled by "a mix of commerce, revenge, and pique", he sensed that war was the ideal way to enhance his glory. In peacetime, he concentrated on preparing for the next war. He taught his diplomats that their job was to create tactical and strategic advantages for the French military.Upon his death in 1715, Louis XIV left his great-grandson and successor, Louis XV, a powerful kingdom, albeit in major debt after the War of the Spanish Succession that had raged on since 1701.
- Significant achievements during his reign which would go on to have a wide influence on the early modern period well into the Industrial Revolution and until today, include the construction of the Canal du Midi, the patronage of artists, and the founding of the French Academy of Sciences.
- Ref source wiki/Louis_XIV.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used patina wear condition.
- We offer our clients exceptional professional customer service.
- International worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thank you.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres
Depth of base (6.3 cm)