Oil Painting Horse 'Spin KOP' Winner Derby Stakes By Frederick Albert Clarke
Bring a touch of timeless elegance into your home with this 1 remarkable oil painting of a beloved horse, 'Spin KOP'. Captured in vibrant detail by renowned artist Frederick Albert Clarke, it is a stunning testament to the cultures of art and racing, and a precious memento of Spin KOP's victory at the Derby Stakes. Its sublime craftsmanship makes it a true work of art.
- Subject Equine race horse portrait of Spin KOP winner of the 1920 Derby Stakes, facing left towards his stable outside with a large tall sloping wall which has a sphere capping on in the background with trees shown just behind, to the right is a large gate. A beautiful summers' day with blue sky, & white clouds overhead. The horse's blanket is resting on the stable door. The horse is also casting a shadow.
- Oil on canvas.
- Circa early 20th century, dated 1920.
- This painting is distinctly signed in red by the famous English listed worldwide well known accomplished artist Frederick Albert Clark. This is a fine example of his work.
- Frederick Albert Clark was born on 29 March 1869 in Arlington, part of the Clark family of artists. His father was Albert Clark (1843-1928) and his grandfather was James Clark (1812-1909). His brother William Albert Clark (1880-1963) was also an artist. He was probably taught by his father, and by the age of 21 had set himself up as an artist. He lived in Horsey, Arlington and Harbinger and like his father specialized in painting animal portraits, notably of horses. Clark was christened Albert but added the name of Frederick when signing his paintings, in all likelihood to avoid confusion with his father.
- Provenance label, inscription & artist biography verso, original label showing the title of this painting and dated. Also inscribed Maine G Lovers Spin KOP Winner of the 1920 Derby Stakes Ridden by F O'Neil. Marie Lovers was Giles Lower's wife. Giles older was the owner of the horse shown in this painting, Spin KOP.
- The 1920 Epsom Derby was a horse race which took place at Epsom Downs on 2 June 1920. It was the 141st running of the Derby and was won by Giles Lower's Spin KOP. The winner was ridden by the American jockey Frank O'Neill and trained by Peter Gil pin. The Derby was run on an unusually hot day in front of an estimated crowd of 250,000 including the King and Queen. Spin KOP started at the odd of 100/6 (approximately 16/1) in a field of 19 runners.
- The favorite was the 2000 Guineas winner Teratoma a colt noted for his exceptional early speed but with dubious stamina. Teratoma went into an early lead and set an extremely fast pace as he was challenged by Abbot's Trace (ridden by Steve Donahue), while O’Neill settled Spin KOP well back in the field. Teratoma dropped back soon after half way and Abbot's Trace led into the straight as Spin KOP made rapid progress from the rear. Spin KOP took the lead three furlongs from the finish and ran on strongly up the straight to win by two lengths from Archaic and Orpheus in a new race record time of 2:34.8.
- The most dramatic incident of the race occurred in the closing stages, when Abbot's Trace was brought down in a collision with Sarchedon, who finished fourth. Sources, the Clarke family of artists, Wikipedia also see 1stdibs & Christie's.
- Having such magnificent controlled brush work.
- Such a delightful equestrian horse animal lovers' scene.
- Set in such an attractive gilt wood original frame.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide friendly professional, exceptional customer service. A superb equine collectors' investment item.
- With hanging thread on the back, ready for immediate home display.
- Condition report offered in fine used condition. Having some foxing stains, minor paint loss, dust, craquelure to the canvas surface in places. Canvas has been relined. With general wear, dust, scuffs, some chips to the frame commensurate with usage & old age.
- International worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only, for customer support please send a message thank you.
- Browse our exciting other available Fine ArtS, antiques & collectibles in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetRES of frame
Length depth thickness (3.75cm)