Oil Painting Scottish Highlands Lock Etive Summer Morning Alfred de Breanski Jr
This timeless antique impressionist oil painting, crafted by renowned artist Alfred de Breanski Jr, captures the majesty of a Scottish Highlands Lock Etive during a Summer Morning. Its intricate details and brilliant colors will dazzle and captivate any gaze, adding a touch of exclusivity and elegance to any home.
- Title "In the West Highlands “Summer Morning Lock Etive” Argyle and But.
- Subject landscape view of the known Scottish Highlands landscape honeypot view in Argyle and But of Lock Five during the Summer during the morning.
- Signed lower right on canvas front and also inscribed verso by the known artist Alfred Montville de Breanski Junior 1877-1957.
- An excellent impressive display size with the frame being 74.5 cm wide and 63 cm high & 6.5 cm in depth.
- Add a statement work of art grandeur to your home or office impress your guests & clients.
- Your focus is drawn to the fascinating hills & mountains in the background, with the tallest peak which have thick swirling mist that is traveling around the valley & summit peaks in a circle which adds great intrigue & mystery to this amazing scene, having such impressive great perspective and exceptional detail. Lower down on the mountain to the far left are cattle grazing on the Lock shoreline, 2 eagles are flying low over the water. In the foreground you are drawn to the Lock Five the colors of the water go from dark at the back to light at the front as the light shimmers along the waters surface, your eyes are also drawn in to the 1 huge boulder seen on the banks edge to the right. With other stone boulders around the mountains sides. Rolling hills with lush vegetation and purple heather can be seen on the ground in various places. Over to the far right is a solitary cottage home next to tall green trees. You can feel the peace and tranquility in this scene. Above with a mainly light overcast sky with blue shining through. The different hues are so bright, vivid and vibrant and really stand out which you will adore.
- Oil on canvas.
- Artist biography Alfred Montville de Breanski Jr. (28 August 1877 – 17 April 1957) was a British painter. His paintings have sold at numerous high-end fine art auctions worldwide with the current highest recorded sold price being $20,740 US dollars which was for the painting view of lake Concision and the old man which sold in New York.
- He was born in London & was the son of Alfred de Breanski Senior and Annie Roberts, who were also both artist painters. He learned craft from his parents and at St. Martin’s School of Art, and met and became acquainted with Whistler during his time in France. Furthermore, he often worked similarly to his father, though they each have distinctive signatures. His paintings were exhibited at the Royal Academy and at the Royal Society of British Artists. He generally painted natural landscape and rustic scenes, showing the influence of Impressionism in his later life.
- He also produced in 1915 a couple of posters for the Underground Electric Railways Company showing Wickersham by Tram and New Gardens by Tram. He died in Ton bridge, Kent, in 1957. Sources
"Alfred Montville de Breanski Jr ", Artnet. Retrieved 29 August 2021, Handbook of Modern British Painting and Printmaking, 1900-1990. (1998). United Kingdom: Ash gate. "BIOGRAPHY - Alfred de Breanski, Jr. (1877 - 1957)". Reds Galleries. Retrieved 19 May 2021. "Alfred de Breanski, Jr. (British, 1877-1945)".
"Alfred Montville de Breanski Jr, Oil on Canvas 'Between the Showers on a Highland River'". "The adopted Welshman who delved into his roots and found a rich artistic lineage". 23 April 2015.
- Lock Etive (Scottish Gaelic, Lock Site) is a 30 km sea lock in Argyle and But, Scotland. It reaches the sea at Conner, 5 km north of Oman. It measures 31.6 km (193⁄4 miles) long and from 1.2 km (3⁄4 mile) to 1.6 km (1 mi) wide. Its depth varies greatly, up to a maximum of 150 m (490 ft).
- The name Etive is believed to mean "little fierce one" from the Gaelic goddess associated with the lock. It heads east for half its length alongside the main road and rail link to Oman, before heading northeast into mountainous terrain. A road along Glen Five makes the head of the lock accessible from Glen Come. The narrow mouth of the lock results in its most unusual feature, the Falls of Lora. Part of the north bank has been designated a Special Area of Conservation in particular due to old sessile oak woods. A small colony of around 20 common seals is resident in Lock Five.
- Just seaward of the mouth of the lock is Dunstaffnage Castle. This was a stronghold of the kingdom of Deal IATA until the 9th century, and possibly its center at one time. It is believed to have held the Stone of Scone before its transfer to Scone Palace. The current ruins date from 1275. Cruises up Lock Five followed by carriage trip to Glen Come were started in 1881 as Oman developed as a fashionable resort.
- Provenance from a private collection, verso labels from Fine Art North Yorkshire auction label & museum label and presently in the collection of Cheshire Antiques Consultant.
- An exceptional very fine example of his work.
- Set in a later stylish decorative fancy wood frame.
- Circa early 20th century 1920.
- Such a delightful happy scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of honeypot scenic landscape subject such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface is in very good overall order. Having some foxing staining, craquelure in areas. The frame which has general wear, scuffs, chips, cracking, stains, some losses in areas commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available.
- Checkout our exciting other available Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame
Wide (74.5 cm)
Depth thickness of frame (6.5 cm)