19th Century Oil Painting 3 Kittens Reflection By Horatio Henry Couldery
- 1 Fine Art Antique Victorian 19th Century Oil Painting 3 Kittens "Reflection" By Horatio Henry Couldery.
- Subject portrait of 3 playful mischievous kittens fascinated by there reflection in the hand held mirror left on the floor.
- A superb quality depiction of the cat animal breed.
- Such master fine brushstroke control, this is one of his really fine works.
- With a decorative plaque on the bottom of the frame showing the painting title and artist name.
- Monogram signed by the world famous English listed artist Horatio Henry Couldery.
- Provenance purchased from a high end fine art auction label verso. Also the Derby Corporation Art gallery Exhibition label also verso.
- Horatio Henry Couldery born in 1832 was an English animal painter and illustrator noted especially for his depictions of domestic cats, kittens and dogs. He was born in Lewisham, London, and trained as a cabinetmaker before abandoning that trade to study art at the Royal Academy of Arts, and exhibited there as well as at the British Institution, the Royal Society of British Artists gallery in Suffolk Street, and other notable galleries both in the capital and the regions.
- In 1861 he exhibited his first piece at the Royal Academy, entitled "On Dangerous Ground." This painting, which features two tabby kittens discovering a table with fish, is in the collection at Glanmore National Historic Site in Belleville, Ontario Canada.
- He worked as a professional artist, illustrating children’s books and greeting cards as well as creating commissioned pieces. Couldery painted with a sense of humour, often portraying animals in mischievous situations that successfully captured the character and personality of beloved pets. He was noted for his skillful depiction of the texture of animal fur in minute detail. His work, with its great attention to detail, was highly regarded by art critic John Ruskin.
- Reference sources wikipedia & Bonhams.
- So finely painted oil on board
- Set in a rather ornate gilt frame.
- Superb investment.
- Hanging thread on the back ready for home display.
- Circa 19th century.
- We select & sell our paintings based solely upon quality & significance.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Very good untouched original condition to the painting surface, no damage or restoration, frame is also in good order with some wear, scuffs, stains commensurate with usage & age.
- We offer our clients exceptional professional customer service.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting collections available in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate