Early Victorian Oil Painting Bay Hunter Horse Pursued By Huntsman Rider
This stunning Early Victorian oil painting is sure to take your breathe away! Crafted by celebrated artist James Scraggs, this artwork is loaded with drama and excitement as a vibrant bay hunter horse is pursued by a determined huntsman rider. Hang it in your home and always feel the thrill of the hunt!
- Subject sporting bay hunter horse wearing his saddle and reigns who is riderless and is facing left in full side profile who is in mid galloping flight away from his rider who was dismounted, set in lush green & open landscape with woods on either flank, his rider who is on the far right side near the woods dressed in traditional wearing his tall hat in black, he is humorously running towards his horse trying to capture him and remount, by him just further back are other riders of the hunting party dressed in red and also black, one is on a white horse talking to another gentleman with red coat gentleman standing by his brown horse & carriage with the trees just behind. Just to the left of the dismounted rider are 2 other horses with riders galloping in full stride jumping over a white fence. To the distance on the left side are other red coat huntsman on horseback galloping with a pack of scent hounds in full stride entering the forest. Above with mainly overcast skys with spots of blue shining through.
- Title "Hunter in rural landscape being pursued by its previous rider"
- Signed by the known British artist James Scraggs & inscribed Lynn.
- Oil on canvas.
- Circa mid 19th century and dated 1840.
- An impressive size with the frame being 78 cm high and 98 cm wide.
- Fine work of art a well painted example which is so collectible & sought after.
- James Scraggs British school (active 1816–1831) The artist's work has been offered at auction multiple times, his works have been sold at Christie’s an example A cow in a landscape, sold at Christie's South Kensington in 2012.
- Provenance label verso.
- Such a delightful sporting hunting equestrian horse animal lover collectors scene.
- Set in a decorative attractive later gilt frame.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide friendly professional exceptional customer service.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Condition report.This oil on canvas has no holes, tears or losses to the front or back. There are however areas of wear to the oil surface along its edge various craquelure. There is also a clear scratch line across the painting running beneath the horses belly. Others scuffs in areas. Under UV light there are areas of repainting, these are predominantly in the wood to the left and the sky and these are +/- no more than 5% of the paint surface. There is also a dent to the oil surface which is 0.5 cm in diameter to the rear of the horse in the sky. This has caused some paint loss. The canvas itself remains taut and the paint structure is stable.
- International worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our exciting other Fine Art, antiques & collectibles available in our gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of frame approximate
High (78 cm)
Length depth thickness (2 cm)
Wide (98 cm)