19th Century Oil Painting Horses "On The Road" To Chester Edward Lloyd Ellesmere
Buy Now £6925
- 1 Fine Art Antique 19th Century Victorian English Oil Painting Edward Lloyd Of Ellesmere Horses Going To Market "On The Road" Travelling To Chester.
- Subject Ellesmere Shropshire landscape Horses on the road travelling to market in Chester.
- Signed by the known famous English Artist Edward Lloyd of Ellesmere.
- Circa 19th century dated 4th August 1874.
- Oil on canvas.
- Set in a fine original moulded floral gilt frame.
- Edward Lloyd (1818-1901) competent English artist was trained as an artist by Mr Agnew of Manchester and subsequently excelled as an equine artist.
- The Marquis of Hastings, nicknamed “Champagne Charlie” , once wagered that he could produce a finer equine artist then Landseer. Edward Lloyd and Landseer both painted a portrait of the same horse, their signature were masked and a panel of experts unanimously agreed that Edward Lloyd’s painting was immeasurably superior.
- Edward Lloyd was a sporting English artist from Ellesmere in Shropshire. Who specialised and is recognised for his ability to paint in animal portraiture for many years, particularly horses, as well as sheep and cattle.
- Edward Lloyd had an exhibit at the Royal Academy in 1861 which was of Shropshire Down sheep, whilst he lived at Willow Street Ellesmere.
- Edward Lloyd painted a fine picture of hunters at Wynnstay and also recorded amongst other horse portraits is that of a Welsh stallion. All his work has been seen has been of very good quality.
- Most of the recorded work of Edward Lloyd is horse portraiture, frequently in landscape. Many examples of his work hag on the walls of country estates in Shropshire & England & Wales, including some fine examples at “Attingham Park” .
- Edward Lloyd also worked in watercolours, he invariably signed and date his work and inscribed it “Ellesmere”. Lloyd had a close association with Ellesmere and the large country estates of Shropshire and Welsh border and his work has been compared to another famous artist Sir Edwin Henry Landseer (1802-73).
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Provenance Hutchinson Scott, antique sale, collection of Albert Helliwell deceased estate antique sale, lot 277, 29th October this year, label verso.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the subject matter such elaborate detail.
- The brushwork is of highest exceptional quality.
- With new hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used worn condition.
- Having various, foxing staining, craquelure and restoration in various places to the canvas surface and paint touch ups, indentation stretch marks around the sides due to the frame pressing on the canvas also loss of paint in areas.
- With various noticeable scuffs, wear, chips & discolouration, cracking & old repairs to the frame commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
27.36" High (69.5cm)
33.26" Width (84.5cm)
2.95" Length depth thickness of frame (7.5cm)