19th Century Oil painting "Bonnie Prince Charlie Crossing To Skye" Clarkson Frederick Stanfield RA RBA
Buy Now £7000
- 1 Fine Art Antique Original 19th Century Oil Painting Bonnie Prince Charlie Crossing To Skye Signed Clarkson Frederick Stanfield RA RBA (1793-1867).
- Subject titled "Bonnie Prince Charlie Crossing To Skye". Figuries On longboats with the beautiful Scottish Highlands in the background.
- Oil on panel.
- Set in a magnificent ornate carved gilt frame.
- Signed in the corner by the known famous listed artist Clarkson Frederick Stanfield RA RBA (1793-1867).
- Charles Edward Louis John Casimir Sylvester Severino Maria Stuart (31 December 1720 – 30 January 1788) was the elder son of James Francis Edward Stuart, grandson of James II and VII, and the Stuart claimant to the throne of Great Britain after 1766 as "Charles III".
- During his lifetime, he was also known as "the Young Pretender" and "the Young Chevalier"; in popular memory, he is "Bonnie Prince Charlie".
- He is best remembered for his role in the 1745 rising; his defeat at Culloden in April 1746 effectively ended the Stuart cause.
After his defeat at the Battle of Culloden on 16th April 1746, Bonnie Prince Charlie fled to the Outer Hebrides, this time with a bounty of £30,000 on his head. Charles Edward Stuart hid in the Outer Hebrides from 27th April 1746 till he left "Over the sea to Skye" with Flora MacDonald on 28th June 1746.
- Clarkson Frederick Stanfield was born in Sunderland on 3 December 1793. He was the son of James Field Stanfield, an author and actor of Irish descent and Mary Hoad, an artist and actress. Stanfield was named after Thomas Clarkson, the slave trade abolitionist who was a friend of his father.
- Initially, he was apprenticed to a coach decorator but then became a sailor where he developed his knowledge and love of the sea. After an accident forced him to leave the navy, he started working as a scene painter at the Royalty Theatre in London and then at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, where he became famous for his spectacular scenery and moving dioramas.
- In his spare time he worked on marine scenes and began regularly exhibiting at the Royal Academy from 1820. After the death of his first wife he married Rebecca Adcock. One of their sons, George Clarkson Stanfield (1828-1878) also became an artist.
In 1824, he became a founder member of the Society of British Artists where he also exhibited and was elected president in 1829. He also exhibited at the British Institution.
- Stanfield was elected Associate Member of the Royal Academy in 1832 and became a full Academician in February 1835. By this time, he had become a full-time artist and only painted scenery for his friends William Charles Macready and Charles Dickens.
As well as touring Britain to paint seascapes he also visited France, Germany and Italy. He was a highly respected artist in his lifetime, winning critical acclaim and had many notable patrons including William IV.
- He died on 18 May 1867 at Hampstead, London. A retrospective exhibition of his work was held at the first Royal Academy Winter Exhibition in 1873.
Examples of his work can be found in many collections including the Glasgow Museum, Royal Collection, Sheffield Museum, Sunderland Museum and Art Gallery, V&A, the Wallace Collection, Watford Museum and the Tate.
- Reference sources Tate, British museum & wikipedia.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Provenance bought from a fine auction interiors sale, lot 100, label on the side.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the subject matter.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some foxing staining, some craquelure and minor paint loss in places to the painting surface. With some noticeable scuffs, wear, chips and repairs and some over painting in places to the frame commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
High 15.74" (40cm)
Wide 19.68" (50cm)
Depth thickness of frame 2.75" (7cm)