Cheshire Antiques Consultant
Fine Small Cast Bronze Elephant Animal Statue Sculpture After Emile Barye
Regular price £399.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
BUY NOW £399
- 1 Fine Small Cast Bronze Elephant Animal Statue Sculpture After Emile Barye.
- In the style of similar to after Emile Barye.
- Emile-Louis Barye 24 September 1796 – 25 June 1875 was a French Sculptor most famous for his work as an animalier, a sculptor of animals.
- Born in Paris, Barye began his career as a goldsmith like many sculptors of the Romantic period.
- He first worked under his father, but around 1810 worked under the sculptor Guillaume-Mertin Biennais.
- After studying under sculptor Francois-Joseph Bosio in 1816 and painter Baron Antoine-Jean Gros, he was in 1818 admitted to the Ecole des Beaux Arts.
- It was not until 1823, while working for Fauconnier, the goldsmith, that he discovered his true predilection from watching the animals in the Garden des Plantes.
- Making vigorous studies of them in pencil drawings comparable to those of Delacroix.
- Then modelling them in sculpture on a large or small scale.
- Origin unknown.
- It does have a foundry stamp though its indistinct.
- It is heavy under 3kg approximate unwrapped weight.
- Circa late 20th century 1990's, 20 years old approximate.
- Bought from out of a fine stately home in Shropshire.
- A fantastic gift this Christmas.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some minor imperfections with being handmade.
- Some minor small noticeable scuffs, scratches, stains, wear & chip to marble base on 1 corner commensurate with usage & age.
- International shipping worldwide is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send us a message.
- Cash upon collection is welcome.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres approx
9.05" High (23cm)
2.76" Width of base (7cm)
7.28 Length (18.5cm)