19th Century Oil Painting Summer Morning Spanish Head Isle Of Man
Experience the beauty of marine life with this stunning 19th century oil painting of a summer morning at Spanish Head on the Isle of Man. The vibrant colors and intricate details capture the essence of the ocean and its inhabitants, bringing a peaceful and serene atmosphere to any room.
- Make a big statement with this fine maritime work of art for your home or corporate office.
- Oil on board set in a fine thin gilt frame.
- A nice small sized with the frame being 35.5 cm wide and 27.5cm high.
- Title verso "Summer Morning Spanish Head Isle of Man by Arthur Cox.
- Circa late 19th century.
- Subject seascape marine view of the prominent coastline feature of Spanish head during the morning time in summer with mild choppy seas, in the distance a sailing yacht can be seen sailing away to the right. In the foreground yhe rocky shore beach with waves crashing, above with some clouds and large areas of blue shining through.
- Indistinctly signed in the bottom corner by the artist Arthur Cox.
- In our opinion this is another of his finest works.
- Artist biography Arthur Cox is an artist born in the early Victorian era around 1840 and he died in 1917. He travelled around the British isles and loved painting marine subjects, he was an American marine artist. The artist's works have sold at auctions around the world many times.
- Spanish Head is a promontory on the southwestern coast of the Isle of Man, rising over 100 m from sea level. The island of the Calf of Man lies to the southwest of the head, separated from it by the Calf Sound. The name of the promontory originates from the Manx name for the type of rock in the area, based on the Manx word "speeiney" meaning "bark", "strip" or "peel" reflecting the natural fissility of the slate on the promontory. The Manx word for "Spain" is a similar word "Spaainey" which led to a later folk tale linking the name to a myth of a ship from the Spanish Armada becoming wrecked in the area, though there is no archaeological evidence, or written accounts to support such a wreck, and the route of the Armada did not pass through the Irish Sea.
- The Isle of Man (Manx: Mannin [ˈmanɪnʲ], also Ellan Vannin [ˈɛlʲan ˈvanɪnʲ]), also known as Mann (/mæn/ man),is a self-governing British Crown Dependency in the Irish Sea between Great Britain and Ireland. As head of state, Charles III holds the title Lord of Mann and is represented by a Lieutenant Governor. The government of the United Kingdom is responsible for the isle's military defence and represents it abroad.
- Provenance from Donald Kendall of Liverpool, also fine art auction label and now in the collection of Cheshire Antiques Consultant.
- Highly sought after by CEO's, interior designers, home decorators, museums, art galleries, antique dealers, private marine nautical collectors, film tv theatre studio prop shops.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional expert customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Painting surface in overall acceptable condition, having various craquelure & foxing stains also scratches, the frame has general wear, scuffs, chips, losses and cracking to the frame in places commensurate with usage & old age.
- Hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame
High (27.5 cm)
Wide (35.5 cm)
Depth (1.5 cm)