Antique Art Nouveau 925 Silver Gilt Enamel Viking Ship Brooch Gustav Gaudernack
- 1 Very rare vintage original antique Art Nouveau Norwegian hallmarked silver gilt and enamel fine jewellery Viking ship pendant brooch sculpture, by Gustav Gaudernack.
- Exceptional quality.
- Distinctly initial stamped signed on the back by maker Gustav Gaudernack.
- Circa late 19th century,1890's
- Handmade from 925 Norwegian silver.
- Gustav Gaudernack (1865-1914) is one of the greats, considered as Norway's leading Art Nouveau goldsmith master craftsmanship finest jewellery makers.
- He was born in Bohemia and studied glassmaking and enamelling in Vienna, before moving to Kristiania (now Oslo) in 1891.
- From 1892 to 1910 he was the leading designer at David-Andersen where his work included plique á jour of extraordinary quality.
- In 1910 he opened his own workshop producing Art Nouveau enamel jewellery.
- He died tragically just 4 years later after a failed appendectomy, however the business did continue for a while under the direction of his widow and sons.
- The detail is incredible on this 20mm silver gilt enamel brooch.
- This brooch is somewhat different to Gaudernack's usual objects of beauty.
- It sought me out some years ago, because, after reading Hamlet's Mill, I'd become interested in Nordic Mythology.
- Gaudernack was certainly familiar with the Nordic myths from his time at David-Andersen, where one of their staples was was archaeological revival pieces.
- A superb item with great investment potential.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having charming wear patina commensurate with usage & old age.
- International worldwide shipping is available.
- We offer our clients exceptional professional customer service.
- Checkout our other exciting collections available in our shop gallery.
Dimension in centimetres approximate
Size 2cm in width