Hunting Oil Painting A Critical Moment By Basil Nightingale 1864-1940
- 1 Fine Sporting Hunting Scene Work Of Art Antique Oil Painting A Critical Moment Signed Basil Nightingale 1864-1940.
- Subject beautiful portrait in side profile of a hunting scene with Gentleman of the hunt on white horse, to the left you can view a fox in the distance which is looking towards the horse.
- Title "A Critical Moment".
- Oil on canvas.
- Signed in black in the bottom corner by the known British artist Basil Nightingale.
- Artist biography. Basil Nightingale was born 1864 at Maldon, Essex, the youngest son of artist Robert Nightingale. He was most probably trained by his father, who certainly worked with him on several paintings, including a life-size portrait of 'Hermit' for Henry Chaplin. Basil is said to have worked at Melton Mowbray for some time and this is probably where he painted his famous picture of Tom Firr on 'Whitelegs'.
- In 1902 Nightingale moved to Leamington , where for many years he was a unique character, a sportsman and prolific artist. Nightingale worked in oil, watercolour and pastel. There is evidence that he was producing work of considerable quality from at least the age of twenty-one. He painted a number of hunting scenes as well as racehorses for Edward VII.
- His major pictures were painted in oils and he gave his horses the appearance of being made out of soft satin, an art no doubt learned from his father, who had the same ability. Basil Nightingale's work has been offered at auction multiple times. Since 1998 the record price for this artist at auction is £17,500 Pounds Sterling for Breaking cover, sold at Christie's South Kensington in 2013.
- Reference sources, Christies & mutualart.
- An exceptional fine example of his work.
- Set in a traditional stylish gilt frame.
- Circa early 20th century dated 1910.
- Old frame label on reverse.
- Provenance purchased from a high end auction label verso.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible sporting nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in good overall order. Having various foxing stains to the back of the canvas. Set in original gilt wood frame having various general wear, scuffs, chips and repairs also over painting commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
High 19.88" (50.5cm)
Wide 27.75" (70.5cm)
Depth thickness of frame 1.18" (3cm)