Cheshire Antiques Consultant
English School WW1 Military Portrait Sergeant Major Watercolour
Regular price £750.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
BUY NOW £750
- 1 Fine Art Antique Early 20th Century WW1 Military Soldier Sergeant Major Gloucester Regiment Portrait Watercolour Painting.
- Subject military portrait of English Sergeant Major W Locke.
- From the WW1 Gloucester army regiment.
- Distinctly signed by an English school artist Alfred Bugby.
- Watercolour on paper backed on board.
- Set in a fine carved gilt gesso original oak wooden frame.
- With glass cover.
- The Gloucestershire Regiment, commonly referred to as the Glosters, was a line infantry regiment of the British Army from 1881 until 1994. At the outbreak of the First World War, the 1st Battalion was deployed to France in August 1914 and saw action on the Western Front.
- It suffered its first casualties at Landrecies on 26 August 1914 during the retreat from Mons and sustained further losses in September during the First Battle of the Aisne.
- The battalion entered the First Battle of Ypres on 19 October 1914 with 26 officers and 970 other ranks, played a pivotal role in the defence of Langemarck, was called upon several times, to counter-attack against enemy breakthroughs and, by the time of its relief four weeks later, had been reduced to 2 officers and 100 other ranks.
- Early in 1917, the 1st Division moved south of the Somme, and the 1st Battalion participated in the advance to the Hindenburg Line.
- In July, the division was allocated to Operation Hush, a planned seaborne invasion that was later cancelled and the only significant action the 1st Battalion saw in 1917 was in November, on the last day of the Second Battle of Passchendaele.
- Provenance bought an antiques dealer near Gloucestershire, Superb fine brushstroke control which really captures this soldiers commanding personality to life.
- Such a highly sought after painting.
- We only sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understanding your purchase is an investment.
- We offer exceptional professional customer service.
- With new hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Circa early 20th century dated 1917.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having water marks, foxing staining to the painting surface in places, some wear and scuffs to frame commensurate with usage & age.
- International worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Cash upon collection is welcome.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate