Huge Oil Painting Portrait Lady Golden Dress Circle Of Godfrey Kneller 1646-1723
This 1 breathtakingly beautiful Huge Oil Painting Portrait Baroque Lady Golden Dress Circle Of Godfrey Kneller 1646-1723 is perfect for those who are looking to add eye-catching elegance to their space. Each brush stroke captures the finest details to bring you a masterpiece with a story—so you can feel like royalty every day! 🤴
- Three quarter length front profile view portrait from the romanticised and revisionist look. Wearing her fine golden dress costume with beautiful white frills and curls in her tall hair, she is projecting such beauty, confidence and her high status authority power in her pose. Pale complextion with rosy cheeks. She is in a sunset river landscape in the backrgound.
- Presented in a magnificent gilt frame which is decorated with ornate flowers & foliage decorations.
- Oil on canvas.
- Works like this rare become available for public sale.
- Unsigned, circle of Godfery Kneller.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, 1st Baronet (1646 – 1723) Kneller was born Gottfried Kneller in the Free City of Lübeck , the son of Zacharias Kniller. Kneller studied in Leiden, but became a pupil of Ferdinand Bol and perhaps Rembrandt himself in the 1660s. He was in Rome and Venice between 1672 and 1675, settling in England in 1676 for the remainder of his life.
- Kneller was soon employed at Court and rapidly became the most successful portraitist during the late 17th and early 18th centuries. His work exuberantly expresses the spirit of the English Baroque, and his style greatly influenced other artists. He enjoyed the office of Principal Painter to the King, at first jointly with John Riley (d.1691), from shortly after the accession of William and Mary in 1688 until his death.
- Kneller founded a studio which produced portraits en masse and to a formulaic model which started with a sketch of the face with details added later, this was helped somewhat by the penchant for wig wearing amounts gentlemen of the time. He was knighted in 1692 and became a baronet in 1715, he died of fever in 1723 and his remains were interred in the church of St. Mary's in Twickenham.
- With 2 large bracket mounting hooks on the back, no hanging cord thread though we can, supply you with strong cord or wire for you to fit for additional support.
- Circa 17th century.
- Provenance purchased from a fine art old master auction label, also remnants of a very old gallery label which is illegible also verso.
- We select & sell our paintings based solely upon quality & significance.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition. The canvas has been relined, wth various craquelure, foxing stains and some paint loss in places and paint touch ups and it has been revarnised also some scuff lines. Set in magnificent gilt wood frame, having some general wear, cracking, scuffs, chips, losses in places commensurate with usage & age. New frame nails have been added to secure the canvas in place to the frame also Japanese Sekisui brown framing tape to tidy the back has been added.
- We offer our clients exceptional professional customer service.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting Fine art, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery,.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate