Large Oil Painting Extensive Sea Battle War Ships Off Trafalgar By James Hardy
Buy Now £2750
- 1 Fine Large Seascape Art Marine Oil Painting Naval Ships Maritime Napoleonic War Extensive Sea Battle Off Trafalgar Coast by British artist James Hardy.
- Title "Extensive Sea Battle"
- Subject depicting a naval Napoleonic sea battle of war frigate ships firing on each other.
- Distinctly signed by listed worldwide known artist James Hardy.
This is such a very fine example of his marine work.
- Here we have such a fine painting by James Hardy III, a listed artist from Britain who was born in 1937.
- His paintings are highly sought after due to the collectible nature of his subject matter and his wonderful detail. He specialised in marine art.
- Circa late 20th century 1970's.
- Oil on board.
- Having beautiful highly detailed extensive perspective.
- The focal point is the sinking floundering ship with only sailing masts showing above water closest to the front, just further back to the right is a French frigate ship firing a broadside to its left onto the English ships, it has suffered some damage to its sails with cannon blast holes in places. A ship is supporting it just behind.
- What also stands out is that you are also drawn with great intrigue to the long line of ships to the left, if you look really closely you can see the English ships have got between the French lines and are firing on them. Having such magnificent perspective. With clouds of smoke from all of the intensive cannon fire rising and filling the air. You can view flames ships on fire in the far background.
- You can see the ensign Flags of the English & French, rigging and sails, such an incredible sight you can feel the hostile tension in this historical famous battle atmospheric scene.
- It feels like you are actually witnessing the battle taking place.
- The Battle of Trafalgar 21 October 1805 was a naval engagement fought by the British Royal Navy, against the combined fleets of the French and Spanish Navies during the War of the Third Coalition August–December 1805, of the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815).
- As part of an overall French plan to combine all French and allied fleets to take control of the English Channel, to thus enable Napoleon's Grande Armée to invade England, French and Spanish fleets under French Admiral Villeneuve, sailed from the port of Cádiz in the south of Spain on 18 October 1805.
- They encountered the British fleet under Admiral Lord Nelson, recently assembled to meet this threat, in the Atlantic Ocean along the southwest coast of Spain, off Cape Trafalgar, near the town of Los Caños de Meca.
- Villeneuve was uncertain about engaging the British, and the Franco-Spanish fleet failed to fully organize. In contrast, Nelson was decisive, organizing the British fleet into two columns, sailing straight into the enemy to pierce its wavering lines.
-In a particularly fierce battle, 27 British ships of the line fought 33 French and Spanish ships of the line.
- The Franco-Spanish fleet lost 22 ships; the British lost none, a British victory.
A superb investment collectors item.
- The brushwork is of the finest quality, totally exceptional a masterpiece.
- Set in a fine gilt frame.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Such an intriguing pleasing scene to the eye.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- A superb investment collectors item.
- Provenance bought from a fine art auction label verso.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- The painting surface is in good overall order.
- The frame having various signs of wear, scuffs, scratches, stains commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Length depth thickness of frame (3cm)