Watercolour Prince of Wales Own 10th Royal Hussars Guard On Horseback
This grand Victorian and unique watercolour painting is the perfect addition to any history buff's collection! A guard from the Prince of Wales' Own 10th Royal Hussars on horseback, painted by Henry Martens - this is sure to make a statement! So, saddle up and show your true colours with this one-of-a-kind piece.
- Watercolour on paper.
- Initial signed HM by the famous listed English artist Henry Martens.
- Circa 1850.
- Subject military battle scene of the 10th Royal Hussars Prince of Wales Own Guard cavalry marching trotting into battle. The focal point in the foreground is the side profile portrait view of an impressive guard holding his sword aloft in full battle dress military uniform riding on his horse. He is wearing his insignia with 3 feathers in his hat, the horse is in such an elegant mid stride pose, a great example of the animal breed. You can see other guards in the background.
- Henry Martens (b. 1790, London; d. 1868, London) was an English military illustrator and artist. He created works for the firm of Rudolf Ackermann who ran the Eclipse Sporting Gallery at 191 Regent Street. The majority of these depicted military uniforms and battle scenes, particularly images of the Sikh Wars and the Kaffir Wars.
- He worked mainly in watercolour although a few oil paintings do exist. Martens exhibited pictures at various galleries including the British Institution and particularly at the Society of British Artists. Between 1828 and 1842, he showed no fewer than 34 watercolours at the latter, the majority depicting military scenes.
- Set in a traditional dark frame with front glass cover.
- Provenance verso written in pencil (1)Out Side, L, In Waiting Room.
- Provenance from the military art collection of Prince Henry of Gloucester, the present Dukes Father.
Ex HRH Duke of Gloucester collection.
- Highly sought after by CEO's, interior designers, museums, art gallerys, antique dealers, famous & private collectors, film tv studio prop shops.
- Ready for immediate home wall display with hanging thread verso.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional expert customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- The frame has some chips and wear in places, the watercolour painting surface colours are bright, having various noticeable foxing staining in places. The glass has some stains, scratches and dust commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Art's antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame
17.71" High (45cm)
14.56" Wide (37cm)
0.59" Depth (1.5cm)