Oil Painting "Dreadnought" Bay Hunter Horse By Herbert H St John Jones
- 1 Fine Antique British Wall Art Oil Painting Portrait Of "Dreadnought" Bay Hunter Horse By Known Artist Herbert H St John Jones.
- Subject Equine horse portrait of a bay hunter who name was Dreadnought, facing left in full side profile in a stable.
- Title "Dreadnought".
- Oil on canvas.
- Circa dated 1903 early 20th century.
- This painting is signed by the known accomplished British artist Herbert H St John Jones also inscribed and signed verso along with artist biography.
- This is a fine example of his work.
- Title “Dreadnought” Bay Hunter in Stable Dated 1903 by Herbert H St John Jones. Herbert H. St. John Jones was a British painter who was born in 1870. Herbert St John Jones, British artist, 1870-1939. Born in Shrewsbury, St John Jones moved to Nantwich, Cheshire, as a young child, and lived there until his death in 1939. He was commissioned by many aristocratic clients to paint portraits of horses and dogs, and his client list included the Duke and Duchess of Westminster, and King Edward VII.
- He was best known as an animal painter, and was inspired by the local huntsmen, learning the details of the horses and hounds with such precision that many of his later portraits were executed from memory at his studio in Hospital Street. The artist was a familiar sight on the streets of Nantwich, and often painted pictures for local shopkeepers in lieu of unpaid bills. Several such pictures decorated the walls of Herbert’s neighbour, the wine and spirit merchants G.F. & A. Brown. After the business closed the paintings were moved to a property in Runcorn.
- Herbert’s most common subjects were hunters, but he also painted other types and breeds of horses as well as hounds, meets, and cattle. Later in life he also painted signs for local inns. His work is in many public and private collections, including the Nantwich museum.
- As a painter of animal portraits, St John Jones worked for a number of famous and distinguished clients. King Edward VII owned one of Herbert’s paintings, the Ayrshire bull 'Earlsfield'. The artist himself kept a list of commissions and copies of letters of thanks from his famous patrons. NB. The Shire stallion 'Chorlton Clinker', a fine painting of a horse inscribed 'Painted from Life. Herbert St. John Jones of Nantwich, May 1916'. The oil on canvas, for which this was the highest price paid for this artist, was sold in 2006 for £19,200 by Bonhams Auctioneers, London.. Ref sources Sotherby's Christies, Mutualart & 1stdibs.
- Provenance label verso.
- Having such magnificent controlled brush work. Such a delightful equestrian horse animal lovers scene.
- Set in such an attractive gilt wood original frame. We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment. We provide friendly professional exceptional customer service.
- A superb equine collectors investment item. With metal chain hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Condition report offered in fine used condition. Having foxing stains, minor paint loss, dust & craquelure. With general wear, dust, scuffs, minor chips to frame commensurate with usage & old age.
- International worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of frame approximate
Length depth thickness (4cm)