19th Century Oil Painting Winter Monarch Of The Glen Stag In Starlit Sky Highlands
Experience the grandeur of Scotland's most majestic landscape in this exquisite 19th-century oil painting. The "Winter Monarch of the Glen" stag is exquisitely painted against a starlit sky highlands and Loch Fyne setting, capturing the beauty of the rugged Scottish landscape in a timeless, unique work of art.
- Title " Stag Under Starlit Sky"
- Subject wildlife animal portrait of an impressive Stag male deer animal in winter snow side profile facing right roaming along the shoreline edge of Loch Fyne in the Scottish highlands. Above with dark star light night with beautiful background views of the Highland mountains. The stag is just crossing a fallen tree with snow covered landscape all around. In the distance another stag can be seen swimming in the Loch,with his head & antlers visable above the water.
- Signed by Scottish School artist L Clarke.
- Circa Victorian era late 19th century dated 1880.
- Nice size with the frame being 69.5 cm wide and 49.5 cm high.
- Loch Fyne (Scottish Gaelic: Loch Fìne, pronounced [l̪ˠɔx ˈfiːnə]; meaning "Loch of the Vine/Wine"), is a sea loch off the Firth of Clyde and forms part of the coast of the Cowal peninsula. Located on the west coast of Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It extends 65 kilometres (40 mi) inland from the Sound of Bute, making it the longest of the sea lochs in Scotland.
- It is connected to the Sound of Jura by the Crinan Canal. Although there is no evidence that grapes have grown there, the title is probably honorific, indicating that the river, Abhainn Fìne (river Fyne), was a well-respected river.
- In the north the terrain is mountainous, with the Arrochar Alps, Beinn Bhuidhe, Glen Shira, Glen Fyne, Glen Croe, Arrochar, Tyndrum and Loch Lomond nearby. It is overlooked by the Tinkers' Heart, an old travellers' monument. It was a place for weddings to traditionally take place.
- Oil on board
- Set in original gilt decorative frame.
- Provenance label verso.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the animal matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- The front painting surface is in reasonable order, minor paint loss in places, various foxing staining, craquelure to the painting surface, the frame having various general wear, scuffs, cracking, scratches, losses and over painting commensurate with usage & old age. It would benefit with being reframed.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame
Wide (69.5 cm)
Depth thickness of frame (3 cm)