Scottish Oil Painting Golf Club Carnoustie By James Torrington Bell
- 1 Fine Sporting Work of Art Oil Painting Famous Scottish Golf Club Carnoustie The Blind First Green 1952 By James Torrington Bell.
- Subject famous sporting golf course scene at Carnoustie.
- Title "The Blind First Green At Carnoustie Golf Club"
- With a plaque at the bottom inscribed This panel was placed in the locker room and a flag was pinned to the surface to indicate the position of the hole. This flag is included its positioned in a very small plastic bag located behind the plaque.
- Such beautiful Scottish landscape views around the green.
- Oil on board.
- Signed in the bottom corner by the famous British artist James Torrington Bell.
- Bell, James Torrington (1898-1970), artist biography he was a Scottish landscape painter who exhibited at the RA and the RSA (1934-1940). Torrington Bell’s primary aim was to show people his vision of the things we know. Mountains, lochs, rivers, farms, avenues of trees and dry stone dykes are all quintessential features of our landscape that we all know and recognise today. Torrington Bell would often paint outdoors and could be seen travelling by bike, easel and paints carefully strapped upon his back.
- Torrington Bell was born in Leven, Fife. During the First World War, he served as a lieutenant in the Royal Navy. Torrington Bell made Carnoustie his home where, following his father's footsteps, he worked as a bank manager. It is said that Torrington Bell made his bank unique by creating striking panels depicting the industries of the district.
- Torrington Bell was a graduate of Edinburgh College of Art where he honed his skills in tempera, oil and watercolour. Torrington Bell travelled all over Scotland and beyond, visiting galleries, experimenting with his work and exhibited at the Royal Academy, the Royal Scottish Academy and the Royal Institute of Fine Art in Glasgow. Torrington Bell also produced iconic posters for London Midland Scottish Railway in 1939, inviting people to enjoy the scenery whilst travelling by rail.
- Despite his work in developing and honing his artistic practice, artistic recognition was slow to arrive to Torrington Bell. At the time, his work was not taken as seriously due to his other profession as a bank manager. Text source: Museums Galleries Archives, ANGUSalive.
- This is an important work by Bell. This painting "The 1st Green at Carnoustie", s. &d. 1952, 20in.x24in, shows his own golf club at Carnoustie, Angus which was close to the artists home. Christie's(Chester July 1991).
- Carnoustie Golf Links is in Carnoustie, Angus, Scotland. Carnoustie has four courses – the historic Championship Course, the Burnside Course, the Buddon Links Course and a free-to-play short, five-hole course called The Nestie. Carnoustie Golf Links is one of the venues in the Open Championship rotation and has hosted golf's oldest major on eight occasions.
- With Christie's Scotland & Glasgow labels verso.
- Set in a traditional original decorative gilt frame.
- Circa mid 20th century dated 1952.
- Provenance purchased from a fine art golfing memorabilia auction label also verso.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible sporting golf nature of the subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in reasonable good order, having noticeable scuffs and scratches. There are various holes in the painting surface though this was done as a golfing traditional to indicate the different position of the golf putting hole. Frame which has general wear, scuffs, scratches, minor chips & staining in places commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (3cm)