Scottish Sporting Watercolour Portrait W Stewart Farquharson With Hunting Dog
- 1 Fine Antique Scottish Sporting Work of Art Watercolour Painting Portrait of W Stewart Farquharson With Hunting Dog .
- Subject portrait of W Stewart Farquharson of Whitehouse.
- In front full profile view, a significant Scottish Edwardian Gentleman of W Stewart Farquharson, he is in full traditional hunt well dressed clothing with his loyal hunting dog by his side, he is carrying his Purdey. Cutler is known for his portraits, and here he captures the distinctive facial features and character of the sitter in such a charming manner. The portrait portrays a light sense of earnestness, with the gentleman looking towards the left beyond the viewer, in a moment of thought. The crisp white shirt and formal tie is typical for a figure of significant social standing in the period.
- With name plaque at the bottom.
- Medium watercolour on paper.
- Frank Paton and Cecil E Cutler collaborated on this commission to produce to present to W. Stewart Farquharson. Cutler, a portrait painter who specialised in watercolours, painted the figure of W. Stewart Farquharson, and Paton, who was predominantly an animal painter, completed the picture by painting the hunter hound dog. The painting was exhibited at the Baird-Carter dealer in works of art on Jermyn Street label verso.
- Provenance: It was sold in a Fine Art Scottish auction on behalf of an Aberdeenshire country estate, label verso.
- Signed on the bottom right and left by the known well listed British artists Frank Paton & Cecil E Cutler.
- Artists biography.
- Frank Paton (23 November 1855 – 13 November 1909) was an English artist of the Victorian and Edwardian eras, best known for his paintings of animals and scenes of rural life. He was a successful artist during his lifetime and could even count Queen Victoria as an admirer of his work. His most famous compositions, "Fairest of Them All" and "Puss in Boots" (1880), have adorned many a wall in the form of plates and posters. In addition, his series of printed Christmas cards published between 1880 and 1909 have become an affordable way for those interested in Paton's art to begin a collection. His parents were James Paton and Mary Ann Paton (née Ross) and he was the youngest of their seven children.Cecil E Cutler also a British artist was active 1886–1934.
- The name Farquharson is derived from the Gaelic MacFhearchair, which means 'son of Farquhar'. Farquhar is derived from the Gaelic word Fearchar, which means 'very dear one'. So, the name means 'son of the very dear one'.
- The surname Farquharson was first found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where the family has a long and distinguished history dating back to the early Middle Ages. They claim descent from Farquhar Mackintosh who arrived in Braemar in 1382. The Clan was one of the principal members of the Clan Chattan (the Clan of the Cat), a powerful 26 Clan confederation. Accordingly, they rank as a sept of the Clan Chattan. Their alliance with the MacKintoshes was particularly strong and this proved quite advantageous, as the MacKintoshes were the captains of the Clan. the family Motto: Fide et fortitudine, By fidelity and fortitude.Ref source House of Names,heraldry.celticradio.
- Circa early 20th century beginning of Edwardian era dated 1901.
- Such a delightful sporting portrait scene to the eye a great conversation piece.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible sporting nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in excellent overall order. Set in fine gilt frame with protective glass cover which has general wear and minor chips losses to frame in places commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (4.5cm)