Seascape Oil Painting Barque Sailing Ship Antilles Follower of John Frederick Loos
- 1 Fine Antique Large Seascape Art Marine Oil Painting The Barque Sailing Ship "Antilles" Follower of John Frederick Loos.
- Unsigned but very much in the style follower of John Frederick Loos.
- Title "Antilles"
- Oil on canvas.
- Subject Barque three masted ship name Antilles in full sail, side profile view on choppy high seas, with figures on deck, bearing various flags and showing the Union Jack. Also having such detailing to the rigging & sails.
- To the right you can see another sailing ship in the background, to the left further ships and waves crashing onto the rocks with shoreline in view on either side. Above mainly overcast cloudy sky with small patches of blue showing through. The seas are quite rough & choppy.
- History of the Antilles, was an iron barque built in 1869 by A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton. Dimensions 158'5"×27'8"×16'5" and 514 GRT, 498 NRT and 469 tons under deck. 1869 January launched at the shipyard of A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton, for McArthur & Co., Greenock. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 72078 and signal JGBM. 1871 Sold to A. Rae & Co., Liverpool.1884
Captain Murdoch. In 1894 May 2.
1903 October. The wreck was sold to Aron Svahn, Kungsbacka, for SEK 4000 to be broken up on the spot.
References: Svenska järn- och stålseglare. Båtologen Årg. 29-31 (1991-93).
- Circa early 20th century 1900's.
- Provenance bought from a fine art auction label verso. From the estate of Stanley Dobbin.
- Set in a later traditional light wooden frame.
- Having such beautiful highly detailed perspective.
- A superb investment marine nautical collectors item.
- The brushwork is of the finest quality, totally exceptional a maritime masterpiece.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Such an intriguing pleasing scene to the eye.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- Provenance bought from a fine art auction label verso.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- The painting surface is in good overall order. With various craquelure, also foxing staining to the canvas back.
- The frame in good order showing some general wear, scuffs, scratches, commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Length depth thickness of frame (3cm)