Victorian Oil Painting 3 Hunting Terrier Dogs "A Sharp Lookout" Edward Armfield 1817-1896
- 1 Fine Art Antique Victorian Original 19th Century Oil Painting 3 Sporting Hunting Terrier Dogs "A Sharp Lookout" Edward Armfield RA.
- Subject Hunting scene of 3 Terrier Dogs around a hole.
- Title of the painting "A Sharp Lookout"
- Signed in the bottom left corner by the known famous British listed artist Edward Armfield RA 1817-1896.
- This is one of his finer works.
- Circa 19th century.
- Oil on canvas.
- Set in such a fine original gilt wood frame.
- Edward Armfield was a prolific and popular artist who specialised in paintings of terriers ratting and sporting dogs.
- Terriers had long been used for sports other than fighting and for centuries had been used to control vermin.
- The Victorian era was age of pet portraits, with the most important influence on their popularity being Queen Victoria who owned an extensive number of dog breeds including terriers.
- This created a demand for portraits of dogs and artists such as Armfield flourished.
- Although he had a large output, Armfield occasionally completed a picture far superior to his other paintings, as in this example here. His style is similar to that of George Armfield (1820-1893) to whom he is thought to have been related.
- A number of his works can be found in museums and art galleries including the Leamington Spa Art Gallery and the Brighton & Hove Museum.
- Reference sources: Christies, 1stdibs, Artnet, Mutualart.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Provenance bought from a fine art gallery dealer at the famous Newark Antiques fair.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the subject matter such elaborate detail.
- The brushwork is of highest exceptional quality.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some foxing staining, some craquelure in places to the canvas surface. The canvas has been relined on the back. With noticeable scuffs, wear, cracking & some minor chips to the frame commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
High 20.07" (51cm)
Wide 24.01" (61cm)
Depth thickness of frame 1.57" (4cm)