Victorian Oil Painting Catch Of The Day Trout Fish By John Bucknell Russell
- 1 Fine Scottish Antique Victorian 19th Century Work of Art Oil Painting Sporting "Catch Of The Day" Trout Fish On Loch Shore Bank By John Bucknell Russell.
- Subject study of a Trout fish, which has been freshly caught and is resting on the grassy bank verge by the Loch shore.
- Oil on canvas with protective front glass cover.
- The colours are so vibrant.
- Signed J B Russell in black in the bottom corner by the known Scottish artist John Bucknell Russell.
- Artist biography.
- Russell John Bucknell 1819-1893 was Scottish born in Edinburgh and raised in Aberdeen, John Russell started his working life as a house painter. He did an altar piece painting for St Mary’s Chapel, Aberdeen and interiors for Haddow House and Kelly Castle.
- He settled at Fochabers where he had sporting commissions from the Duke of Richmond and Gordon and his friends who came to Castle Gordon for the hunting season. He also obtained commissions from Lord Lovatt in Inverness.
- Russell specialised in paintings of fish and fishing scenes. He was a skilled wood carver, making models of Spey salmon to the exact measurements of the originals. These were carved in the old laundry workshop of Castle Gordon and painted by his daughter. Several of his children became artists, and he exhibited regularly at the Royal Scottish Academy. This work may be ‘The Morning’s Sport’ exhibited at the RSA in 1863.
- The record price for this artist at auction is $27,015 USD for SALMON ON THE BANKS OF THE DEE WITH BALMORAL IN THE DISTANCE, sold at Sotheby's Edinburgh in 2005.
- Reference sourses Christies, Mutualart, Artuk.
- A fine example of his work.
- Set in a traditional stylish gilt frame.
- Circa late Victorian 19th century
- Provenance purchased from a fine antique centre.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible sporting nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in excellent overall order. Having various foxing staining to the canvas back. Set in fine original gilt frame which has general wear, scuffs, some chips, cracking and old repairs also over painting commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
High 18.89" (48cm)
Wide 25.78" (65.5cm)
Depth thickness of frame 1.77" (4.5cm)