Victorian Sporting Oil Painting "Game Dogs" Signed Robert Cleminson (1864-1903)
Buy Now £6000
- 1 Beautiful Antique 19th Century Victorian English Oil Painting Sporting "Game Dogs" Signed Robert Cleminson.
- Subject Sporting Hunting Scene of Game Dogs with caught game birds prey.
- Title of the painting "Game Dogs"
- This scene from the English artist Robert Cleminson, features a Scottish Highland landscape, mountain ranges in the background with 2 hunting dogs who are the focal point, the white and brown dog is shown in front profile peacefully resting in front. The black dog shown in side profile looking away to the right anticipating sensing owner returning, on right flank are 2 large stone boulders & next them is a large wicker basket which has game prey birds spread out hanging over. With lush green grass in front.
- Signed in the bottom left corner by the known famous English listed artist Robert Cleminson (1864-1903).
- This is one of his finer works.
- Circa late 19th century.
- Oil on canvas.
- Set in such a fine heavy original gilt wood frame 8kg unwrapped weight.
- With front protective glass cover, oil on canvas back with board cover.
- Cleminson was a painter in oils of landscapes, Highland game and sporting dog paintings and it his animal and dog paintings for which he is best known. He no doubt found a ready market for his paintings which are as popular today as they were during his lifetime. He exhibited 10 works at the British Institution which was established as a rival to the Royal Academy, at Boydell's Shakespeare Gallery in Pall Mall, London. He exhibited further works at the Society of British Artists, Suffolk Street, London. Set in a fine original moulded floral gilt frame.
- Reference sources: Website of William Shannon Fine Art, June 2019.
- Askart, Artnet, Mutualart.
- Since 1998 the record price for this artist at auction is $16,470 USD for The tiger hunt, sold at Bonhams Knightsbridge in 2018.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Provenance bought from a fine antique auction interiors, collectors sale label verso.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the subject matter such elaborate detail.
- The brushwork is of highest exceptional quality.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used worn condition.
- Having various foxing staining, some craquelure in various places to the canvas surface. With noticeable scuffs, wear, cracking & chips to the frame commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
High 22.24" (56.5cm)
Wide 25.98" (66cm)
Depth thickness of frame 3.54" (9cm)