19th Century Seascape Oil Painting Clipper Sailing Ship Swamped Distress Bay Biscay
This beautiful Victorian oil painting of a distressed clipper sailing ship in a stormy Bay of Biscay will capture your heart and imagination. Its exquisite details and rustic colors make it a perfect choice for any decor style, and its highly realistic brushwork will bring you back in time. Enjoy the atmosphere of a seascape full of drama and adventure and make your walls come alive!
- Make a big statement with this fine maritime work of art for your home or corporate office.
- Oil on canvas set in a fine gilt frame.
- A good proportion sized with the frame being 98.5 cm wide and 68.5cm high.
- Title “Clipper Ship Swamped In Storm Rough Seas Bay Biscay"
- Name of ship painted on obscurely on the bow of the ship which is believe to read Kenmaldehui.
- Unsigned British School artist.
- Subject seascape marine view of a sailing clipper ship in big trouble on the high seas that has suffered damage in the storm, with sails missing and ripped off the front bow section, also being swamped towards the centre of the ship and she is listing & the hull line is riding very low in the water as it has been taking on a great amount of sea water onboard being swamped from the crashing waves which is starting to cause it to sink. You can view some of the sailor crew together on the stern section. 4 lifeboats are visible on the deck of the ship tied down. With really rough rolling storm seas all around lots of white wash on sea surface, above mainly large dark storm clouds with a small spot of sunshine trying to come through above.
- A fascinating combination of stormy skies above & crashing rolling seas all around the floundering vessel.
- Provenance label verso.
- Circa late 19th century Victorian era.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional expert customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Painting surface in overall good condition, having various craquelure in places, some paint loss and fading in areas, the painting surface has been cleaned, the canvas has also been relined on the back commensurate with usage & age. The frame is later and has various wear, scuffs, chips, losses and cracking to the frame in places.
- Hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame
High (68.5 cm)
Wide (98.5 cm)
Depth (2 cm)