Victorian Oil Painting Marine Ship Sailing By Moonlight By John Davison Liddell
Sail away into the serene world of moonlit waters with this stunning British Victorian oil painting. Featuring a marine ship sailing by moonlight, this piece by renowned artist John Davison Liddell captures the beauty and tranquility of the sea. Display it in your home for an elegant touch of nautical sophistication.
- Subject seascape marine portrait of a 3 masted ship in front side on profile view facing left on the high seas by moonlight on dramatic choppy rough in the North Sea going homeward-bound heading back to the Type Newcastle, you can see the rigging with sails hoisted. Waves are crashing around the ship, what is fascinating is that you can view a small glowing fire light coming from the ships' galley area, where the ship's cook would be preparing the crews' meal. With a bright moon shining through the dark sky giving an illumination of light that is being reflected off the sea, such an enchanting mysterious scene for the viewer which you will adore when you view it on your home or office wall space area.
- Title "Homeward Bound" inscribed verso.
- By the known marine artist John Davison Liddell.
- This is one of his most unusual works as it is a scene at night, a very fine example of his marine works.
- Oil on canvas.
- A good size with the frame being 71cm wide and 41cm high.
- Circa late 19th century, Victorian era.
- Set in a beautiful original decorative gilt frame which further enhances this nautical painting.
- Signed by the known artist John Davison Liddell.
Brief biography of the artist John Davison Liddell (1859–1942).
John Davison Liddell a known British artist who specialized in marine & also landscape paintings, he was born during the Victorian era in the year 1859 and was from the north-east of England in the town of North Shields which is in the borough of North-Type side in Tyne & Wear. He painted his artworks using mainly oils. He exhibited his paintings in his native North east area & loved to paint various ships along the river Type which was by his birthplace. Furthermore, he died during WW2 in 1942. A selection of his works can be found in the South Shields Museum & Art Gallery also Northumberland County Council Libraries also Quadrant, North Inside Council. His paintings have sold at various auctions around the world, like Bonhams.
- Provenance labels verso.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of subject marine matter.
- With hanging thread on the back, ready for immediate wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly, professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front canvas painting surface in good original unlined overall order. Having foxing staining, craquelure, with some scuffs grazes to the front and various foxing on the back. The frame which has general wear, scuffs, stains, scratches, some minor chips losses in places commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available, please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only, for customer support please send a message thank you.
- Checkout our exciting other available Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimeters of the frame
High (41 cm)
Wide (71 cm)
Depth thickness of frame (5 cm)