19th Century Sporting Oil Painting "Taking A Fence" Hunting By John Alfred Wheeler
Buy Now £4,500
- 1 Fine Art Victorian Sporting Oil Painting "Taking A Fence" Hunting Riding By John Alfred Wheeler 1821-1903.
- Oil on canvas set in a fine gilt frame.
- Subject sporting hunting scene of a rider on horse with scent foxhound dogs jumping a fence, title of the painting is "Taking A Fence".
- Signed by the famous listed known artist John Alfred Wheeler.
- Biography of Artist John Alfred WHEELER 1821 – 1903.
- Wheeler was born at Andoversford, near Cheltenham. He was the son of John Wheeler and father of James Thomas Wheeler and Alfred Wheeler. He was not interested in art at first but enlisted in the 2nd Queens Corps which gave him plenty of experience and a knowledge of horses that was to be very useful in his artistic career.
- His is considered to be one of the most accomplished animal artists of his day.Examples of his work are held by the Victoria Art Gallery, Bath, the National Trust, Somerset Military Museum and the Salford Museum & Art Gallery.His army life was cut short by ill health and in 1842 he was discharged.
- In the same year he married and by 1854 he and his family were living in bath where he remained for almost 25years.
- During his time in the military he painted several military scenes of the North Somerset Yeomanry as well as hunting and horse portraits.
In 1877 he moved to Hanwell where he built a house called Bath Villa and he was then close to London Galleries and where his clients were wealthier.
- Shortly after the move he painted the picture entitled ‘The Beaufort’ which had some 130 people as well as horse and hounds in, and measured 90 x 168 inches. He went on to paint other well-known canvases, some of which were published as prints and were sold for 15 guineas.
- He painted many of the leading racehorses of the day and amongst his patrons were the Dukes of Beaufort, Portland, Westminster, Rutland and Hamilton and the Earls of Roseberry and Caithness as well as Baron Rothschild.
- His works have been auctioned throughout Europe, the UK and the USA reaching up to $45,000.
- Circa 19th century Victorian era.
- This painting has beautiful perspective with views of the landscape in the background, trees and fields.
- Provenance purchased from a high end art auction south of England.
- Highly sought after by CEO's, interior designers, museums, art gallerys, antique dealers, famous & private collectors, film tv studio prop shops.
- Ready for immediate home wall display with hanging thread verso.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional expert customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Minor foxing staining to the canvas surface also noticeable craquelure in places.
- Some general wear and cracking to the frame.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting collections available in our shop gallery happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate