British Enamel Southern Railway Target Sign From Dover Priory Station
Discover a distinctive piece of British railway history with this Southern Railway Target Sign from Dover Priory Station. This timeless enamel sign is a nostalgic collectible that will be sure to captivate admirers with its charming authenticity, offering a window into an enduring era of British industry.
- Here is your opportunity to own this exceptional and collectible sign.
- An impressive size, being 84cm wide and 33cm high.
- Most Southern Railway stations have green and white enamel target signs which were mounted on station lampposts. The biflanged signs were mounted on a wooden backboard down the center of the sign which was then attached to the post or station buildings. Ref source railway ana.
- Circa late 1940s mid-century.
- Made from enamel on a metal back with a wooden board.
- Dover Priory railway station is the southern terminus of the South Eastern Main Line in England, and is the main station serving the town of Dover, Kent, the other open station being Kearns, on the outskirts. It is 77 miles 26 chains (124.4 km) down the line from London Victoria. The station and all trains that serve the station are operated by Southeastern. This station is a 25-min walk away from the Ferry Port.
- Dover Priory opened on 22 July 1861 as the temporary terminus of the London, Chatham & Dover Railway (LCDR). It became a thorough station on 1 November 1861, with the completion of a tunnel through the Western Heights to gain access to the Western Docks area, where LC DR created Dover Harbor station. The station was known as Dover Town but was renamed in July 1863 (leading to rival SER to adopt the name for one of its Dover stations).
- So collectible is highly sought after by railway sign collectors.
- Provenance label verso.
- For use display indoors or outdoors.
- Condition report.
- Offered in a fine old charm used worn patina condition.
- Having noticeable wear, scratches, scuffs, stains, enamel losses, commensurate with usage & old age.
- International worldwide shipping is available. Please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support. Please send a message thank you.
- Checkout our other exciting Fine Arts and antiques & collectibles available in our gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres
Depth total thickness (2cm)