Cheshire Antiques Consultant
European Religious Madonna & Christ Icon Portrait Oil Painting C1931
Precio habitual $3,849.00
Los gastos de envío se calculan en la pantalla de pagos.
Bring the beauty of religious portraiture into your home with this one exquisite oil painting of the Madonna and Christ from 1931. The intricate details and vivid colors make this an exquisite piece of art that is sure to awe onlookers.
- Subject Religious portrait of Mary with Jesus Christ as a young child, they are floating on a cloud below.
- Distinctly signed by a European artist, Otto Paulus.
- Beautifully controlled brush work.
- So collectible.
- This is so sought after by art collectors.
- A great feature is this is larger than most icons which are usually quite small, this frame size is 79cm high.
- Oil painting on plastered hessian.
- A Madonna is a representation of Mary, either alone or with her child Jesus.
- These images are central icons for both the Catholic and Orthodox churches.
- The word is from Italian my Donna, meaning 'my lady'.
- The Madonna and Child type is very prevalent in Christian iconography, divided into many traditional subtypes especially in Eastern Orthodox iconography, often known after the location of a notable icon of the type, such as the Theodorus of Vladimir, Agiosoritissa, Blachernitissa, or descriptive of the depicted posture, as in Hodegetria, Elena.
- The term Madonna in the sense of "picture or statue of the Virgin Mary" enters English usage in the 17th century, primarily in reference to works of the Italian Renaissance.
- In an Eastern Orthodox context, such images are typically known as Theodorus.
- The earliest depictions of Mary date still to Early Christianity (2nd to 3rd centuries), found in the Catacombs of Rome.
- These are in a narrative context, the classical "Madonna" or "Theodorus" imagery develops from the 5th century, as Marian devotion rose to great importance after the Council of Ephesus formally affirmed her status as "Mother of God or Theodorus ("God-bearer") in 431.
- Half-length Madonnas are the form most frequently taken by painted icons of the Eastern Orthodox Church, where the subject is highly formulated so that each painting expresses one particular attribute of the "Mother of God".
- Half-length paintings of the Madonna and Child are also common in Italian Renaissance painting, particularly in Venice.
- Ideal for TV film studio, stage theater prop shops.
- A wonderful talking point with your guests.
- Set in a rather fine original primitive gilt plaster frame.
- With metal hanging bracket on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Our online gallery only selects & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We realize that your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with an exceptional, professional customer service.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available.
- With hanging thread on the back, ready for immediate home display.
- Circa early 20th century, dated 1931.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some noticeable staining craquelure to the painting surface and restoration paint touch ups in places with some minor paint loss & flaking also foxing, with various wear scuffs, chips to the frame commensurate with usage & old age.
- Checkout our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of frame