Victorian Bronze Lithe Eros Cupid Archer Sculpture After Alfred Gilbert RA
This Victorian bronze sculpture depicts Eros, an iconic figure from Greek mythology. This impressive sculpture is after the 19th-century in the style design after renowned British Royal Academician, Alfred Gilbert RA. Crafted with precision, this piece is ideal for any collector of fine arts.
Good size being 50cm tall.
- Free standing ideal to display proudly in your home.
- A great conversation talking point to your guests.
- In the style of similar to After Alfred Gilbert.
- Subject figure of lithe youth drawing arrow of desire set on a sphere plinth.
- Sir Alfred Gilbert RA (12 August 1854 – 4 November 1934) was an English sculptor and goldsmith who enthusiastically experimented with metallurgical innovations.
- He was a central if idiosyncratic participant in the New Sculpture movement that invigorated sculpture in Britain at the end of the nineteenth century.
- Unsigned sculptor unknown.
- In Greek mythology Eros Ancient Greek meaning "Desire" is the Greek god of love.
- His Roman counterpart was Cupid, he is described as one of the children of Aphrodite and Ares and, with some of his siblings, was one of the Erotes, a group of winged love gods.
- In some traditions, he is described as one of the primordial gods.
- Unwrapped weight just over 3kg.
- Circa late 19th century 1890's.
- So collectible.
- Provenance bought from out of a private museum collection stately home in Shropshire.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine old used condition.
- Having charming natural wear patina commensurate with usage & old age.
- With some noticeable scuffs, scratches, stains in places.
- International worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available.