British Marine Oil Painting Refrigerated Cargo Ship Autolycus Steaming Along Clyde
Bring the grandeur of the British seas into your home with this one beautiful oil painting. Carefully crafted to capture the beauty of a refrigerated cargo ship in the Clyde estuary, this painting is sure to give your rooms a unique, inspiring nautical atmosphere!
- Subject side profile view of the Ocean refrigerated cargo ship Autolycus steaming along in the Scottish Clyde estuary, with impressive Highland mountain views in the background. Smoke is coming out of the ships black & blue funnel with Union Jack ensign flag shown on red background on the aft. Also at the bow you can see the name of the ship. Superb attention to detail showing rigging lines.On relative choppy blue waters above with blue sky & scattered clouds.
- Title “Autolycus In the Clyde“ by Les Cowle
- A nice size with the frame being 48.5 cm wide and 38.5 cm high.
- Medium oil on canvas.
- Signed by the known British artist Les Cowle.
- Provenance label verso.
- A fine example of his work.
- Cowle was born in Glasgow, he joined the Merchant Navy in 1950s as marine engineer. Sailed Blue Funnel, Brocklebanks, Ellerman Papayannis, Canadian Pacific. 2nd & chief engineer steamships and motorships: USA, India, Middle East, Burma, Ceylon.He grew up in Birkenhead, Merseyside. Served apprenticeship with Alfred Holt as marine engineer. On completion joined sea staff as 5th on Euryades 1952. He painted calendars, greetings cards, Xmas cards for the Blue Funnel Assoc
- Ref sources redbubble/people/LesCowleArt. The artist has had one of his others works sell at Christies in 2002.
- Set in a later contemporary frame.
- Circa late 20th century.
- Ship biography. Name: AUTOLYCUS was a refrigerated cargo ship that was launched on 23/08/1948 & completed on 05/1949. The builder was Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd in the yard, Walker Yard. Its number 107. It actual full size dimensions as follows 7705grt, 4437nrt, 9440dwt, 487.0 ft x 62.4 ft x 28.3ft. Its engines where oil engine B&W type, 2DA, 8cyl (550 x 1200mm), 6800bhp, the engines by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow. Its propulsion:1 x Screw & its construction was from Steel. The Reg Number 182483.
- Ships history 05/1949 China Mutual SN Co Ltd (A Holt & Co Ltd), Liverpool1974Elder Dempster Lines Ltd, Liverpool1975 China Mutual SN Co Ltd (A Holt & Co Ltd), Liverpool 1975 Elder Dempster Lines Ltd, Liverpool 1976 Gulf Shipping Lines Ltd, Liverpool; renamed GULF TRADER It was broken up on 29/04/1978 at Kaohsiung by Nan Feng Steel Enterprises Co Ltd.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the marine subject matter.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in good overall order. Having some minor stains foxing & craquelure to the canvas surface in some areas. The frame is in good order having general wear & some scratches commensurate with usage.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles in our gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
High (38.5 cm)
Wide (48.5 cm)
Depth thickness of frame (2.5 cm)