Expressionist Oil Painting St Ives Smeaton's Pier Beach Cornwall By Linda Weir
Bring the beach to life with this spectacular 1 Expressionist Oil Painting of St. Ives Smeaton's Pier Beach Cornwall By Linda Weir! No matter the size of your wall, the distinctive colors and charming brushstrokes will transport your room to the Cornish coast. Y'all may even see some seabirds! "Sea" the world with this delightful artwork.
- Oil on canvas.
- Title Fun in the Sun inscribed by the artist verso.
- Intial signed LW by the famous known artist Linda Weir.
- Subject beautiful summer time view of St Ives beach and harbour scene. With many happy people figures sitting sunbathing and standing on the beach by the shoreline. Further back are many fishing boats that are an anchor, to the left a seawall path that leads out Smeaton's Pier.
- The pier and the original lighthouse are both named after John Smeaton, the civil engineer who designed the structures.
When the extension was complete a new 9 metre tall lighthouse was built at the end.
- Smeaton’s Pier has a reservoir at its base that fills up at high tide to reduce wave action in the harbour.The 3 arches were designed to circulate seawater to prevent the build-up of sand. St Ives Harbour is a beautiful and safe place to swim and observe local fishermen come in to land their catch
- Circa 21st century dated August 06 for 2006.
- Set in original contemporary frame.
- About the artist, Linda Weir is a St.Ives based painter whose expressionistic, paintings depict colour, pattern, form, movement and texture, all tangled up with memory. Layering oil paint, Linda’s distinctive style develops from her rush to capture the moving changes – ‘to capture the boats before they leave, the sun before it sinks beyond Carnstabba hill and the fisherman to go out or come in’.
- Born in Manchester in 1951, Linda studied at manchester Metropolitan University before going on to receive an MA in Fine Art from Nottingham Trent University. She moved to Cornwall in 2005 where she produces impasto oils, all ‘en plain air’. Linda has exhibited most recently and notably at the Royal Academy’s Summer Show.
- Linda held many teaching positions between 1983 and 2003 including at the University of Nottingham and Manchester Metropolitan University. She was a member of the Manchester Academy of Fine Art and a founder member of the Manchester Artists Studio Association.
- Linda won a place at Falmouth School of Art in the 1980s but was unable to take it up. Twenty-five years later, she finally arrived in West Cornwall and now lives and paints in St Ives where she produces impasto oils, all ‘en plein air’. She describes being in Cornwall as a “constant thrill” and finds it an “intensely inspiring place”. She is regarded as one of Cornwall;s foremost artists.
- Provenance bought from a fine antiques art auction label verso.
- Ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some general wear, scuffs, scratches stains to the frame commensurate with usage & age. Canvas front painting surface is in excellent order.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Art, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (3cm)