19th Century Carved Religious Figure Saint Holding Shield Crossed Keys Of Heaven
Elevate your decor with this exquisite small 19th century carved religious figure of a saint, holding a shield and crossed keys of heaven. Crafted with the utmost attention to detail, this piece exudes a sense of nobility and devotion. A timeless addition to any space, symbolizing the keys to heaven, protection, faith, and salvation.
- Hand carved from out of oak wood.
- Subject man figure of a known saint in front profile who is clasping a shield which has the crossed keys of heaven on.
- Very finely modelled superb craftsmanship.
- With a hanging loop on the back so you can display on your wall.
- The Keys of Heaven, also called Saint Peter's keys, refers to the metaphorical keys of the office of Saint Peter, the keys of Heaven, or the keys of the kingdom of Heaven. It is explicitly referenced in the Bible in Matthew 16:19.
- According to Catholic teaching, Jesus promised the keys to heaven to Saint Peter, empowering him to take binding actions. In the Gospel of Matthew 16:19, Jesus says to Peter, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on Earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on Earth shall be loosed in heaven." Saint Peter is often depicted in Catholic and Eastern Orthodox paintings and other artwork as holding a key or a set of keys.
- The keys of heaven or keys of Saint Peter are seen as a symbol of papal authority and are seen on papal coats of arms (those of individual popes) and those of the Holy See and Vatican City State: "Behold he [Peter] received the keys of the kingdom of heaven, the power of binding and loosing is committed to him, the care of the whole Church and its government is given to him.
- An ideal collectors gift.
- A feature you will love are the fine detail to his face, hands and also the creases and curves of the robe gown which gives the impression of flowing movement.
- Circa late 19th century.
- Provenance bought from an antiques dealers in the Shires.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used worn patina condition.
- Having charming patina noticeable wear scuffs, chips, losses commensurate with usage & age.
- We offer our clients exceptional professional customer service.
- We only sell our artworks based upon quality & significance.
- International worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting intriguing Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres
High (31.5 cm)
Width (18.5 cm)
Length depth thickness (3 cm)