Anglo Chinese School Marine Oil Painting HMS Alacrity Schooner Steam Sail Ship
- 1 Fine Anglo Chinese School Work of Art 20th Century Marine Oil Painting HMS Alacrity Schooner Ship.
- Subject seascape marine side profile view of the HMS ship Alacrity. Sailing along the high deep blue seas in relatively choppy waters, you can see the sailors crew figures in white uniform wearing hats on deck, also with 3 lifeboats shown, a single steam funnel and masts either side with rigging, flying above is the St George flag along with the Union Jack. With scattered grey clouds above a beautiful blue sky.
- Title "HMS Alacrity"
- HMS Alacrity was a twin screw dispatch vessel schooner of the Royal Navy, 1700 tons with 4 guns built by John Cuthbert, Millers Point, New South Wales as the yacht Ethel that the Royal Navy purchased in 1872. Crew complement 27.She commenced service on the Australia Station at Sydney in 1873 as a tender for HMS Clio. She was later used for anti-blackbirding operations in the South Pacific and also for hydrographic surveys of Fiji and Australia.
- On 3 June 1873, Alacrity ran aground in Vita Bay, Fiji Islands. She was refloated. She was paid off in 1882 and sold to the Colony of New South Wales, which converted her to a powder hulk guardship.
Alacrity was in use as an accommodation hulk at Bantry Bay during the Second World War.
- Citations 1 2 3 Bastock, pp.58-59.
↑ Tizard, T.H. (1900). Chronological List of the Officers Conducting British Maritime Discoveries and Surveys: Together with the Names of the Vessels Employed from the Earlier Times Until 1900. Her Majesty's Stationery Office. pp. 32–34.
↑ "Fiji". Leeds Mercury (11049). Leeds. 8 September 1873.
- Such attention to detail to the rigging, portholes & ship structure is exceptional.
- Medium oil on canvas.
- Anglo Chinese School artist.
- An exceptional maritime artwork
- Set in an ornate original gilt frame.
- Circa mid 20th century.
- Provenance from a fine art auction label verso.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the marine scenery subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in excellent order. The canvas has been relined. The frame is in good overall order having only some general wear, scuffs, scratches, in places commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (3.5cm)