Cheshire Antiques Consultant
Antique Victorian Bronze Lithe Eros Cupid Archer Sculpture After Alfred Gilbert RA
Regular price £500.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
BUY NOW £500
- 1 Antique Victorian 19th Century Old Bronze Lithe Eros Cupid Archer Sculpture After Alfred Gilbert RA.
- Superb quality 50cm tall.
- Free standing ideal to display proudly in your home.
- A great conversation talking point to your guests.
- In the style of similar to After Alfred Gilbert.
- Subject figure of lithe youth drawing arrow of desire set on a sphere plinth.
- Sir Alfred Gilbert RA (12 August 1854 – 4 November 1934) was an English sculptor and goldsmith who enthusiastically experimented with metallurgical innovations.
- He was a central if idiosyncratic participant in the New Sculpture movement that invigorated sculpture in Britain at the end of the nineteenth century.
- Unsigned sculptor unknown.
- In Greek mythology Eros Ancient Greek meaning "Desire" is the Greek god of love.
- His Roman counterpart was Cupid, he is described as one of the children of Aphrodite and Ares and, with some of his siblings, was one of the Erotes, a group of winged love gods.
- In some traditions, he is described as one of the primordial gods.
- Unwrapped weight just over 3kg.
- Circa late 19th century 1890's.
- Provenance bought from out of a private museum collection stately home in Shropshire.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine old used condition.
- Having charming natural wear patina commensurate with usage & old age.
- With some noticeable scuffs, scratches, stains in places.
- International worldwide shipping is available.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only.
- Cash on collection is welcome.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres approximate
19.68" high (50cm)
5.12 width of base (13cm)
8" total length span arm to arm (20cm)