Equine Sporting Oil Painting Horse & Riders Polo Match
- 1 Fine English Equine Sporting Work Of Art Oil Painting Horse & Riders Polo Match.
- Subject fabulous sporting study of 3 players gentleman riders on horses playing Polo.
- Having great perspective, in the foreground a rider wearing a blue top on the lighter brown horse, flanked further back on either side of him 2 other riders both wearing orange top colours, the one at the back is on a white horse the other just ahead is on a dark brown horse. To the bottom is the ball. With views of the green forest in the background.
- Title Sport of Kings.
- Polo is a horseback ball game, a traditional field sport and one of the world's oldest known team sports. The game is played by two opposing teams with the objective of scoring using a long-handled wooden mallet to hit a small hard ball through the opposing team's goal. Each team has four mounted riders, and the game usually lasts one to two hours, divided into periods called chukkas or "chukkers".
- Polo has been called "the sport of kings" and has become a spectator sport for equestrians and high society, often supported by sponsorship. The concept of the game and its variants date back from the 6th century BC to the 1st century AD, originated from equestrian games played by nomadic Iranian and Turkic peoples. The sport was at first a training game for Persian cavalry units, usually the royal guard or other elite troops. A notable example is Saladin, who was known for being a skilled polo player which contributed to his cavalry training. It is now popular around the world, with well over 100 member countries in the Federation of International Polo, played professionally in 16 countries, and was an Olympic sport from 1900 to 1936.
- Oil on canvas laid on board.
- Signed in the bottom corner by the English artist Edward Forster who lived in Surrey label verso.
- An exceptional example of his work.
- Set in a traditional stylish thick gilt frame.
- Circa mid 20th century.
- Provenance purchased from a fine art auction label verso.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible sporting nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in good overall order. Having some paint loss in places, also some scuff to the canvas surface. Frame with general wear, scuffs, small chips, commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (5cm)