French 19th Century Oil Painting Chow Chow Dogs Ting & Ching
- 1 Fine French Art 19th Century Impressive Dual Portrait Of Chinese Chow Chow Dogs.
- Title Ting & Ching Two Chinese Chow Chow Dogs.
- Subject beautiful half length front portrait of 2 Chinese Chow Chow animal dogs called Ting & Ching who are facing towards the viewer. They have exceptional thick brown fur coats,
- Signed by the French artist G Symon.
- A great example of the animal breed.
- So collectible and highly sought after. A great collectors Christmas gift.
- Oil on canvas.
- Set in a traditional original oak frame.
- Circa late 19th century.
- Provenance origin from France a French family story inscribed verso.
- The Chow Chow is a spitz-type of dog breed originally from northern China. The Chow Chow is a sturdily built dog, square in profile, with a broad skull and small, triangular, erect ears with rounded tips. The breed is known for a very dense double coat that is either smooth or rough. The fur is particularly thick in the neck area, giving it a distinctive ruff or mane appearance. The coat may be shaded/self-red, black, blue, cinnamon/fawn, or cream.
- The Chow Chow has been identified as a basal breed that predates the emergence of the modern breeds in the 19th Century. One writer proposed that the Chow Chow originated in China 2,000 years ago or possibly originated in Arctic Asia 3,000 years ago which migrated to Mongolia, then to China. One Chinese legend mentions large war dogs from Central Asia that resembled black-tongued lions. One Chinese ruler was said to own 5,000 Chows.
- The Chinese also used Chows to pull dog sleds through swampy terrain, and this was remarked upon by Marco Polo. Chow Chows tend to display discernment of strangers and can become fiercely protective of their owners and property. The American Kennel Club standards, however, consider an all-too aggressive or all-too timid Chow Chow to be unacceptable. For that reason, some owners have attributed a cat-like personality to the Chow Chow. Notable owner Sigmund Freud had a Chow Chow named Jo-Fi Ling who attended all of his therapy sessions because he felt that dogs had a special sense that allows them to judge a person's character accurately, and admitted he depended on Jo-Fi for an assessment of a patient's mental state,
- Provenance bought from an art dealer.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface having various craquelure, paint loss and paint touch ups in places & foxing also a small dimple to the canvas by the left dogs temple area. The frame has general wear, dust, scuffs, chips commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available via the ebay global shipping programme centre.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (2cm)