18th Century Italian Old Master Oil Painting Portrait Pope Clement XIII
- 1 Huge Important old master religious Italian 18th century oil painting portrait of head Catholic Church Pope Clement XIII beside a cherub holding a bible inscribed 'Profert De Thesauro Suo Nova Et Vetera', bearing further Latin inscription bottom left.
- Subject portrait of Pope Clement XIII.
- Italian old master.
- Set in a magnificent ornate carved gilt frame.
- Circa mid 18th century 1760.
- Pope Clement XIII (Latin: Clemens XIII; 7 March 1693 – 2 February 1769), born Carlo della Torre di Rezzonico, was head of the Catholic Church and ruler of the Papal States from 6 July 1758 to his death in 1769. He was installed on 16 July 1758.
- This oil painting on canvas depicting Pope Clement XIII, painted circa 1760. The painting has been carried out in an exceptional manner, painted by a hand of the greatest skill; creating very realistic impressions within the faces of the pope and cherub.
- The painting depicts Pope Clement XIII next to a Cherub. The Pope is looking directly towards the audience whilst the Cherub is holding the Biblia Sacra.
- The Biblia Sacra was written in Venice, Italy, in 1740 by Fransiscum Piteri in which was recognised by Popes Sixtus V and Clement VIII. The Biblia Sacra is the Latin translation of The Holy Bible.
- The Pope places his hands in front of him, invoking the audience to join him and the Cherub (Gods messenger on earth) to worship and commemorate the glorification of the newly Beatified Sebastian Maggi. Sebatian Maggi, also known as Blessed Sebastian Maggi O. P. (Order of Preachers) was and Italian Roman Catholic Priest and a member of the Dominicans, he also served as a confessor.
- He lived between 1414 and 1496 and was beatified by Pope Clement XIII on the 15 April 1760 at Saint Peter's Basilica, Papal States. In the painting, the Angel represents the messager of God, carrying God's instructions (Biblia Sacra) , to God's representative on Earth, Pope Clement XIII to convey the message of the beatification and worship of the Blessed Priest Sebastian Maggi.
- The painting would have been commissioned, especially to commemorate the occasion, making it an important piece of Italian Ecclesiastical history. On the Sacred book that the Cherub holds has a Latin written verse from the Biblia Sacra: "Profert De Thesauro Suo Nova Et Vetera" which is from the book of Matthew, 13: 52. There is a further inscription to the bottom left of the painting, the letters pained by hand in Latin, translate to the following: The highest order issued by the grace of God from the year 1740 (referring to the date the Biblia Sacra was published) , for the Head of Priests (Pope Clement XIII) in 1760 (the year of Sebastian Maggi's beatification) , to invite all to worship the Blessed Martyr Order of Preachers, Sebastian (Sebastian Maggi O. P)
- Provenance bought from a fine art auction antiques interior sale in Oxfordshire.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of the religious subject matter.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having various foxing staining, craquelure and paint loss in places to the painting surface, paint touch ups in places it has also been relined. With some noticeable scuffs, wear, chips, losses to the frame in places commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available listings in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate