Large Oil Painting Landscape Taw Marsh Dartmoor Devon Signed Alfred de Breanski
This large British impressionist oil painting, signed by the renowned artist Alfred de Breanski Jr 1877-1957. Is a beautiful representation of Taw Marsh in Devon, England. The careful brushwork conveys a vivid and immersive sense of the marsh's natural hues and terrain. An impressive piece of art for any collection.
- Title verso "Taw Marsh Dartmoor."
- Subject landscape view of the known British landscape honeypot view of Taw Marsh in Dartmoor.
- Signed lower left on the cavas front and also inscribed verso by the known artist Alfred de Breanski Junior 1877-1957.
- Impressive size with the frame being 105.5 cm wide and 75.5 cm high.
- Your focus is drawn to the fascinating hills & mountains in the background, with the tallest peak which has an ancient stone building settlement ruin on top, with thick mist that is traveling around the valley which adds great intrique & mystery to this amazing scene, having such impressive great perspective and exceptional detail. Lower down on the mountain cattle are grazing. In the foreground you are drawn to the meandering river Taw, light shimmers along the waters surface, with large boulders on either flank of the river, especailly 1 huge boulder seen on the bank to the right. Rolling hills with lush vegetation and heather can be seen on the ground in places. Above with a mainly overcast golden sky at sunset. The different hues are so vivid.
- Oil on canvas.
- Artist biography Alfred Fontville de Breanski Jr. (28 August 1877 – 17 April 1957) was a British painter. His paintings have sold at numerous high end fine art auctions worldwide with the current highest recorded sold price being $20,740 US dollars which was for the painting view of lake Coniston and the old man which sold in New York.
- He was born in London & was the son of Alfred de Breanski Senior and Annie Roberts, who were also both artist painters. He learnt his craft from his parents and at St. Martin’s School of Art, and met and became acquainted with Whistler during his time in France. He often worked in a similar style to his father, though they each have distinctive signatures. His paintings were exhibited at the Royal Academy and at the Royal Society of British Artists. He generally painted natural landscape and rustic scenes, showing the influence of Impressionism in his later life.
- He also produced in 1915 a couple of posters for the Underground Electric Railways Company showing Twickenham by Tram and Kew Gardens by Tram. He died in Tonbridge, Kent, in 1957. Sources
"Alfred Fontville de Breanski Jr ", Artnet. Retrieved 29 August 2021, Handbook of Modern British Painting and Printmaking, 1900-1990. (1998). United Kingdom: Ashgate. "BIOGRAPHY - Alfred de Breanski, Jr. (1877 - 1957)". Rehs Galleries. Retrieved 19 May 2021. "Alfred de Breanski, Jr. (British, 1877-1945)".
"Alfred Fontville de Breanski Jr, Oil on Canvas 'Between the Showers on a Highland River'". "The adopted Welshman who delved into his roots and found a rich artistic lineage". 23 April 2015.
- Provenance label verso.
- Dartmoor is an upland area in southern Devon, South West England. The moorland and surrounding land has been protected by National Park status since 1951. Dartmoor National Park covers 954 km2 (368 sq mi). The granite which forms the uplands dates from the Carboniferous Period of geological history. The landscape consists of moorland capped with many exposed granite hilltops known as tors, providing habitats for wildlife. The highest point is High Willhays, 621 m (2,037 ft) above sea level. The entire area is rich in antiquities and archaeological artefacts.
- Dartmoor National Park is managed by the Dartmoor National Park Authority, whose 22 members are drawn from Devon County Council, local district councils and Government. A very popular honeypot tourist destination.
- Taw Marsh is positioned in the northern part of Dartmoor by Belstone Tor also Cosdon Hil & Steeperton Tor. It is flanked on all sides by high raised ground an awe inspiring valley view, water sources nourish the marsh. The Taw river, which begins by Steeperton Tor meanders through Taw Marsh, it moves the water away towards the village of Belstone. Water companies in the early 20th century had the concept to use it to supply nearby towns & Exeter.
- When the Roadford reservoir was built Exeter no longer required the water from the marsh. In 1990 the Taw marsh was almost bone dry, this severly impacted the local wildlife & also the fish stocks in the Taw. Soon after the Environment agency cancelled the water licence and a big relief that the marsh is returning to its past natural beauty. There are various paths that run around the plain, through the marsh, which are very soggy boggy, the best one to use to talk along starts below Cosdon Hill which goes to Metheral Hill.
- Provenance label verso for The Lyver and Boydell Galleries in Castle Street Liverpool, also label for D.J.Lowe of Cuckoo Lane Liverpool and now in the collection of Cheshire Antiques Consultant.
- An exceptional fine example of his work.
- Set in a later stylish gilt frame.
- Circa early 20th century 1920.
- Such a delightful historical scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible nature of honeypot scenic landscape subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject, quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface is in good overall order. Having foxing staining, craquelure in areas. The frame which has various general wear, scuffs, chips, cracking, fading, discolouration, stains, losses in areas commensurate with usage & age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate
High (75.5 cm)
Wide (105.5 cm)
Depth thickness of frame (5 cm)