Cheshire Antiques Consultant
British Impressionist Oil Painting Portrait Equine Show Jumping Champion Horse & Rider
Regular price $1,922.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
- Be the envy of the estate with this 1stunning British Oil Painting Portrait Equine Show Jumping Champion Horse & Rider! This work of art brings the grace and athleticism of equestrianism into your home. Treat your eyes to this beauty and get ready to feel like royalty!
- Subject study of a famous brown thoroughbred equestrian showjumping horse champion Mattie Brown with rider Mr Harvey Smith in full traditional dress, withered jacket, white trousers, hat and boots..
- Signed by a British yorkshire based artist C Baker.
- Oil on board.
- Delightful pleasing to the eye, expertly controlled brushstrokes.
- The famous well known rider Mr Harvey Smith (born 29 December 1938) is a former British show jumping champion.
- Smith was born in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and still maintains his stables at Craiglands Farm.
- His career was often controversial in 1971 he was disciplined overturned on appeal after he gave a "V sign" to the judges following a near perfect round which won him the British Show Jumping Derby for the second year in succession and also a 'tongue-in-cheek' part in an advert for Victory V sweets with the slogan 'They've got a kick like a mule!' Smith became so famous that he embarked on a brief, but unsuccessful, singing career.
- His sons, Robert and Steven, also became equestrian champions. In 1990, after retiring from competition, Harvey joined with wife and trainer Sue Smith, a former showjumper herself, to form a racing team at their Yorkshire base, Craiglands Farm.
- Their charge Auroras Encore won the 2013 Grand National. Mattie Brown was the first horse to win 2 consecutive Hickstead Derbies.
- Having won the Derby on him in 1970, Harvey Smith failed to bring the trophy back the following year he claimed to have forgotten it, while Hickstead founder Douglas Bunn felt that Harvey was overconfidently presuming he'd win it straight back.
- Set in a decorative gilt frame.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Circa late 20th century 1970's.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having had some previous glue repairs & paint touch ups to the frame, scuffs, scratches wear also to the frame in places, some noticeable scuffs to the painting surface in places and stains in places commensurate with usage & age
- International worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting Fine Arts, antiques & collectibles available in our shop gallery.
Dimensions in centimetres of frame