Oil Painting Westminster Bridge Houses Of Parliament & Big Ben By Antonio Devity
- 1 Large Fine Original Italian Art Mid 20th Century Oil Painting Famous Cityscape Westminster Bridge Houses Of Parliament & Big Ben London From South Bank Signed By Antonio Devity.
- Subject impressionist view of the the historic London landmark cityscape view from the south bank of London's most popular tourist destination Westminster Bridge & Houses of Parliament with Big Ben. It has great perspective & atmosphere. With 2 barges sailing along the calm waters of the Thames river just below heading towards the bridge.
- Signed the known Italian artist Antonio Devity
- So collectible and sought after work of art.
- A Fine example of his work.
- Artist biography Antonio DeVity (1901–1993, born Umberto Marone was an Italian painter born in Naples. Antonio DeVity was a master of cityscape painting. After moving to Rome during early adulthood, he was mentored by famous painter Giacomo Balla, an artist credited as co-founder of the Futurism movement. His life can be described in a few words: a big passion for painting and art and a great love for Paris, the city where his grandmother's family were originally from. He studied at the Liceo d'Arte in Naples and spent a few years in Paris, in a small attic room near Place Saint-Michel.
- In those years he had the opportunity to attend the “École des beaux arts”, and to appreciate those places that were often represented in his paintings, including Notre Dame, the Café de la Paix and the Moulin Rouge. During his time in Paris he first started using the pseudonym name "Antonio de Vity". This choice along with giving homage to his beloved Paris, contributed to creating an aura of mystery about the painter. After his return to Naples, Umberto founded a School which rapidly became a prestigious Art Studio, which constituted an important meeting place for artists from Southern Italy.
- By the end of the 1950s the studio became one of the most important schools of art for Neapolitan painters, with more than 30 students. Starting in the late 1960s, the Art Studio was directed by Umberto's son Achille, who also continued to paint with the name of Antonio de Vity. The first exhibitions of Antonio de Vity dated back to the early 1950s: Brussels, Belgium 1953, Marrakech, Morocco 1955 and Madrid, Spain 1956. Many of the art exhibitions were held in France. He spent his later life in Naples, where his studio sold and exported works for many years. His works are said to have won international awards and his pieces are widely collected. Reference sources wikipedia, mutualart, invaluable & 1stdibs
- Oil on canvas.
- Set in a rather ornate gilt frame.
- Hanging thread on the back ready for home display.
- Circa mid 20th century 1960.
- Provenance bought from a fine auction label & artists studio stamp verso.
- We select & sell our paintings based solely upon quality, subject & significance.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- The front painting surface is in good order, having some paint loss, craquelure in places, the canvas back has various foxing staining. The frame has general wear, scuffs, minor chip losses commensurate with usage & age.
- We offer our clients exceptional professional customer service.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Browse our other exciting collections available in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of the frame approximate